1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finally finished upgrading my Cort Curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, May 5, 2006.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Greg Curbow gave me one of his Cort Retro basses when he got the first shipment in a couple of years ago and I've upgraded it a couple of times since.

First, it got a fretjob to take care of a couple of high frets. So, it plays as well as any bass 5x its cost.

Next, I swapped out the pickguard and trussrod cover with a matching set of mirrors.

Recently, I finished the project with Armstrong lipstick pickups, a Hipshot Type A bridge, new CTS pots, and chrome UFO knobs with ebony tops.

Dunlop straplocks and TI Powerbass strings complete the picture.

She plays great, looks great, and sounds mean (those Armstrong pickups have some serious output). I guess it's not the bass for someone who wants to sink into the shadows...:ninja:

Basically, I dropped about $300 on parts and upgrades for a bass that can be bought new for under $275. :D

It weighs all of about 7 lbs thanks to the compact agathis body. I used it before I set it up at a blues gig last week for four hours, and it was a blast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bass should see a decent amount of playing time now. Which will be nice since I think of Greg every time I pick it up.

2. CurbowPete

CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    USA
    that is HOT!

-Pete

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I like it. Looks mean. Great mods. :)

4. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    You just made my cort piss itself.

That looks amazing...

5. That is an awesome bass. Heh i want one

6. That sounds like a great setup, great looking bass.

7. isnt the cort curbow luthite?

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hawt. How's it sound?

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The Cort Curbows are luthite. The Cort Curbow Retros are agathis.

The cort page has a picture of the two tone burst.

http://www.cort.com/basses/curbow/index.html

The bass sounds great. I was going to put a preamp in it eventually, but I've decided to leave it passive. I'm recording with it right now. :hyper:

It fits in with the two US Curbows a little better now that it's gotten a fancy suit. :bassist:

10. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    Looks really really nice. The pick guard is my favorite colour: shiny.

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :D

Black, chrome, & mirror. I think it's safe to say that if you look at the bass for too long it ends up smudged with fingerprints.

12. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    that thing is pimp.
    reminds me of a hartke xl4 some reason.:bassist:

13. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That is stunning! I like how you chose the Lipstick pickups for this bass, really looks fantastic with the mirror pickguard. You got one sexy bass thats for sure.

14. I played this bass yesterday. It is SLAMMIN'. Looks even cooler in person, plays amazing and sounds like an avalanche on Tone Mountain. I've got first dibs when you decide to sell it, dude.. :D