1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finally Finished! Warmoth/Moses build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hentor, Apr 9, 2009.

1. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    A few months ago, I happened upon a beautiful P-bass body in the Warmoth Showcase. After a few days of waffling due to the fact that it was already pre-drilled for a Fender/Gotoh/Badass II bridge, I pulled the trigger and purchased it.

3427106611_91054fcd6e.

Ash body with flame maple top, finished in "Tiger Eye" burst fading into transparent brown on the back.

I then began looking at necks/pickups/hardware to pair it with and came up with the following.

3427106435_cd020cf68d.

Warmoth P-bass body, Moses Graphite J-bass neck, EMG pickups, Schaller BML tuners, Hipshot A-type bridge and Dunlop Strap locks. Currently strung with D'Addario nickels 45-105.

Has a beautiful bright tone, a nice amount of body and the weight distribution works for me (9.1 lbs). The J-bass neck is fast and smooth and installation went well according to my repair guy.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    nice!

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Very sexy - - I didn't like the body at first... but then you added the black neck and *SNAP* - works like a champ.

I do think it's missing a J p'up, however...

4. Very nice! Finding P bodies with nice tops is fairly difficult and that's a gorgeous one!

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Not my cup o' tea, but it looks nice.

I wont lie. ;)

6. Love that finish.

7. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    that thing screams to have a MM pick up or DS added !

8. Beautiful top! I'll bet it looks cool under stage lights.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah... but unless you're a *ROCK* band, it might seem out of place. It just reeks of ROCK AND ROLL!!! - - which isn't a bad thing...

What it NEEDS is a hot girl playing it wearing a tight faux tiger leotard...

10. drden

drden

Nov 11, 2008
    Troy, NY
    I like harry's idea. : D

but I didnt really like the top either in the first pic. it looks nicer with the neck on it for some reason

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I like it with one exception: I really hate when the bookmatching for the top doesn't line up, and on this piece its very noticeable. My Warmoth G4 had this problem, but all of the noticeable spots are covered by the bridge and dual Darkstars, so its a non issue.

I realize I'm being pedantic. That is quite a nice bass regardless.

12. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually I play jazz and fusion with side country/blues and church gigs as well...my days of playing RAWK are long since passed. :smug:

Nope, it isn't made by BC Rich, Dean, Jackson, Kramer or Ibanez and is not layered in airbrush paint...I grew up in the 80's and was scarred by learning my instrument during that era...

I wasn't happy with the matching initially either, but then again I realized that if the audience noticed the bookmatched flamed maple on the top of my bass doesn't match up, I'm not doing my job as a musician and entertainer...plus the price for a nicely finished fancy topped bass in the showcase made that pill a little easier to swallow.

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Too pretty for me to play, but WOW it's gorgeous ! It should be hung in a showcase with lights and an alarm !

14. jbassbob

jbassbob Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    Wow! Stunning! Very classy. I love it! Thanks for sharing.

15. Unique looking P - if you don't mind what did the Build Cost you?

16. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Once everything was together, it cost a little less than the list price of a American Standard P-Bass. But keep in mind that everything is exactly what I wanted in a bass...if I wanted to have attempted to put it together myself it would have been less but I realised the neck/neck pocket needed slight adjustment to work properly.

17. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    ... then it can't or shouldn't be described as 'bookmatched'. In this case, it does not look like bookmatched cut pieces mis aligned, it doesn't look bookmatched at all. And this would be one of the reasons it ended up in the showcase section.