Finally first build photos (and mistakes)!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Arnie, May 4, 2012.

1. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Ok so after lurking and watching and asking questions I finally started working on my bass. It is a 4 string with Mahogany, Maple, Mahogany, Curly Maple sandwich. With a neck laminate of birdseye, wenge strips.

DSC_0265.jpg

2. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    The body wings

DSC_0269.jpg

The sandwich to be..

DSC_0270.jpg

A quick layout
    DSC_0278.jpg

if you look next to the neck was my sample pine board for the neck scarf. The scarf came out PERFECT on the pine, but I guess I didn't take into consideration the thickness difference in the neck lam.

3. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Ok here is my scarf cut.. as you can see my blade cried and screamed when it cut this thick laminate..

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

4. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    here you can see my "Oops" the scarf joint left way too much headstock and I lost about 4 inches on my body portion... YUCK!!! But I have a solution, lets see if it works.

DSC_0002.jpg

So here is my solution..
    Join these pieces to the end of the neck lam.
    DSC_0005.jpg

Mahogany and a piece of the neck lam.

5. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    The mahogany should be in the area of the bridge and could look like a detail? We shall see.

DSC_0004.jpg

6. Nice, keep it up!

7. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    DSC_286.jpg

The body cut... and waiting to get joined to the neck. I expect it to happen this weekend.

Cant wait to sand and round over the edge.

DSC_0287.jpg

8. It might be easier to do your round over before you glue to the neck.

lowsound

9. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Thank you, any advice helps... I bet you are right because I probably couldn't get the router close enough to complete the transition by the neck! I didn't give that much thought.

10. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    DSC_0292.jpg

Sanded body wings smooth (at least for now)

DSC_00293.jpg

Over cuts of my wings I applied some Tung oil to test. It is Low Gloss tung oil.

DSC_00291.jpg

Bottom
    DSC_0289.jpg

11. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    DSC_0294.jpg

Getting so close, yet quite a bit to be done, round over, glue up, truss rod, fretboard.

12. Have you measured it out to see if something will cover that split in the neck though? It looks, by my eyeballs, to be right between the bridge and bridge P/U. Might be worth it to bring that pickup down a bit more to get rid of it, though. Depends on exactly where the bridge lays, I suppose.

Maybe measure and lay out where you plan on putting the hardware? I'm very curious about this project, as it's essentially my build with different woods so far.

13. No problem. I mention it because I made that mistake once in fact, I did so many things out of order on that bass that it sits unfinished as a reminder to think processes out before I do them.

lowsound

14. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    I expect the pickup to cover that "Ooops", I have one one the bottom obviously my thought is to slice a 1/4 or so of the ebony fret board and inlay it.. We shall see.. by the way I will be using soapbar style pickups so they should cover more surface area.

15. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Finally glued (in rough state) bass has yet to be cleaned up with glue stains. I am pretty happy so far this has been a tremendous learning experience.
    bass2.jpg
    bass1.jpg

16. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Well making progress only 2 years from last posting..

photo1_zps5da43161.jpg

17. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Grounding foil in, now need to drill two more holes, one for battery and one for bridge grounding wire.
    photo2_zpsb8bfe290.jpg

18. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    A little dirt smudge on body but needs a good finish and finale sanding..

19. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Battery box routed and still some double sided tape left.
    photo3_zps4f88c1e1.jpg

20. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Game plan for this weekend get brass inserts installed and sanded then off to the TRU OIL process.
    photo4_zps5ece2e11.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021