Finally first build photos (and mistakes)!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Arnie, May 4, 2012.

1. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    This has been such a SLOW process being the first build. Didn't know how to begin the next step, researched, and then thought about it for a long time. Just can't wait to finish it.. I expect the Tru Oil process to take 2 weeks or more...

2. Only two years?! Now I don't feel so bad with mine (it's been several months since I first began my bass build). The good news is your project looks pretty cool. Hopefully it sounds great, too!

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    This is looking really good. All that wood is going to pop once the oil goes on. How did you end up doing the neck carve? I'm about to start my own (probably two year) build, and find thats the scariest part. Did you slowly shave away at it using templates, or just go for it in a blaze of glory?

4. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Yes, I used a rasp and slowly went up and down the neck.. Funny how little and square the neck stock looks prior to rounding it off.

5. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    A little comparison between the raw wood and the beginnings of my tru oil satin

photo3_zps4f88c1e1.jpg
    finish_zpsb621d40c.jpg

coughiefiend and vmabus like this.
  6. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    That's a good looking bass there! I'm glad I'm not the only one that's first build is moving at the same rate as plate tectonics. :thumbsup:

7. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    DONE!!!!!!!!!
    DSC_0052_zps3c0cc0c8.jpg
    DSC_0059_zps569d677a.jpg
    DSC_0056_zpsc9524b72.jpg

8. That looks great. I really like your choice of woods and the finish(es) used.

9. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Good work! - so after two years of the build… how does it sound and does it feel/play to your liking? What does it weigh? Does it balance well? Specs please!

10. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    It plays GREAT, Great sound, it is very well balanced but I think it might be on the heavy side... I have yet to weigh it. Im guessing 12 pounds or so..

11. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    That's good to hear that all you work payed off! Sounds like it would be best to get a nice wide padded strap!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021