Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally found a practice routine :) Comments welcome

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 4, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've been playing for about 2 years, and frankly, my practicing has never been practicing. I've been just "playing" I'd practice lessons given to me by my teacher, but since I stopped lessons (no time, teacher quit playing all together..its a shame too, but thats another story all together)..ANYWAY.. I think I finally came up with a routine that I can do every day, that I should atleast be able to put into an hour, if not more. Here is my outline that I made for myself..comments welcome on things I should add, consider etc..

Daily Practice Routine

I. Left Hand Warm up

1. Stretching
    a. 1st – 4th fret, D# False Harmonic Stretch etc.
    2. Chromatic Scales
    a. Up, down and back using 8th’s 16th’s and triplets

3. Diagonal Ascend/Descend
    a. Up, down and back using 8th’s 16th’s and triplets

4. “Steve’s 1-2, 3-4, 4-3, 2-1 string skip exercise”

5. “Bass Workout” Book Excercises

II. Right Hand Warm Up

1. 8th’s, 16th’s, Triplets and Paradiddles
    a. Staying on one string, ascending, descending and alternating strings

2. Octaves

III. Scales

1. Major, Minor, Pentatonic Major & Minor and Blues Scales
    a. Play each scale in all keys. Also pick a key and move around the neck playing the scale on each note of that key. Play each note of the scale in different places on the neck, not just in the normal finger pattern. Play each scale in every degree 1-7. Be sure to say each note and think about the notes being played, not the finger pattern
    b. Major, Pentatonic and Blues Scale Forms

2. Practice all Modes including Parallels

IV. Reading

1. Bass and Treble Cleff

2. Practice reading music in different keys

3. Read anything available
    a. Old lesson excercises, bass books, piano & guitar, J.S. Bach for Bass

V. Intervals & Ear Training

1. Memorize interval “names”
    a. Perfect 4th etc..

2. Find alternative places for intervals on the neck

3. Learn how individual notes sound, and try singing while playing

I think thats pretty complete :)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    tell me how well you are doing with it in 2 months. ;)

looks good, just gotta have commitment and keep to it.

3. Tobias4 sounds like a very involved routine, hope you can keep it up

I just started my new practise routine.

This is what it involves:
    I started a book where i record all the date, time practised, then warm ups done and songs practised

I need to keep learning songs for my 25 mins solo performance at the end of next year(a long time away but the better i practise now the easier it will be) At the moment the main one is Chromatic Fanstasy

My warm ups involve stuff like, major and minor scales over two octaves (will add pentatonic and blues latter) major, minor triads and major, minor and dominant 7ths all round the cirlce of 4ths. I will also keep doing speed exercises to

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Heres my routine:
    Warm-up's (10 minutes, just playing whatever)

Stretching (5 minutes of just stretching my arms)

Left hand workout (About 2-4 hours of different left hand workout's)

Right hand fingers and slap (Are with the left hand workout, I alternate fingers, and slap)

Tapping (About 20 minutes)

Scales (Whatever time I have left over, or want to spend on scales)

Tabs (Just learn one to 5 songs a day)

So yeah, at least i'm playing 2 hours a day, and at most, about 6-8...

5. funkyNeohyte

funkyNeohyte Guest

Jun 8, 2003
    las vegas, nv
    i had to ask what this means:
    1. 8th’s, 16th’s, Triplets and Paradiddles
    2. Practice all Modes including Parallels

i am going over the modes, parent scales and key signatures now, but i am unsure what the term parallel referrs to. i was just wondering if you could clarify.

and no where in my reading have i come across the word paradiddle. what is a paradiddle?

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    a paradiddle is a drumming technique, where the same pattern is played with the left and right hands alternately, then in reverse so

LRLLR RLRRL

for example

I gues you'd apply this to bass using your fingers

12112 21221

??? :meh:

Practice routines - that 1st one sounds like too mch in my opinion. Personally I dont have one at the moment. I tend to practice scales quite regularly, or work on a partuclar tachnique when it needs attention.
    I recognise the need to develop a routine - in the past i put together a CD of major chords going round the circle of 5ths to practice scales, by, this i something i'm going to do again i think - it works.

my latest band writes so much new material that it's a good practice for me to just keep learning their new material, it quite incolves the use of a lot of theory, so it keeps me busy and learning.

Of late I've ben reading a lot of music, in bass & trble clef, and working out the rhythms and notes in my head.. just getting used to the language i guess.

7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Damn right man, s*$t. That's so much daily, what did someone tell you your gonna be as good as Jaco if you do that? That MUST take like 8 or mor hours...

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well, as a matter of fact, if you rigerously complete that precise routine on a daily basis your DNA will gradually alter and you'll actually become an exact genetic clone of Jaco P himself. Mas sh1t I swear ;)

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thanks for all the feedback. Actually I should've been more specific.. As a daily practice routine, under each section I won't be doing EVERYTHING listed.. like under I. Left Hand Warm Up..every day I won't be doing everything. I just wanted to list all the possible things that I could work on to give me enough things so I can vary that particular section up. Hope thats alittle clearer :) I don't have the time each day to practice for like 8 hours *lol*

funkyNeohyte, by 8th's, 16th's etc.. I mean that when doing a chromatic scale, I'd play 8th notes with the right hand, or 16th's.. Also paralell modes..I'm barely into understanding relative modes, so here is the link where I got all the info: http://www.cyberfretbass.com/theory/modes/101/page4.php