1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally found a Robin Freedom! Now its MINE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by k5koy, Apr 26, 2010.

1. k5koy

k5koy

Oct 27, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    Well, after a very long search, I found my Robin Freedom Bass. And these pictures just dont do it justice! Sound is amazing with the Bartaloni Preamp and pups. According to what I have been able to find out, which was not much, Dave is not very forthcoming, This was 1 of only 5 or so custom Freedoms made in Houston. All of the Freedom line were produced in Japan by either ESP or Tokai. Rangers and Medley's were produced in USA after 1989, and 1988 was the last year for Freedoms, except the customs. I have been told this one was probably made around 1995, and since there were never any freedom necks made domestically, this one has a leftover Tokai neck, so it is an odd bird for sure. If anyone knows something about this bass, or can correct anything I have mentioned, please do! Im happy to have it!

front_body.

full_front.

full_back.

head_front.

Koy-West Texas

**Robin Hybrid Freedom Bass
    **Carvin LB70 Walnut Bass
    **Warwick Corvette 4 Standard Hybrid
    **Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
    **Tradition Fretless Bass
    **Takamine Hollow body Bass
    **Ibanez EW20ZW Electric/Acoustic
    **Ampeg B2R-Ampeg 410
    **Carvin BR510N Combo+Peavey Tour 15
    **Carvin PB100-15

Carvin Club #156
    Texas Bassist Club #66
    Fender Jazz Bass Club #328

2. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    Nice score man,glad your search is over :)

3. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Very Cool!

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Robin is outta Houston, correct? Man I want to play a robin bass!

5. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    looks like the funkiest stingray style bass ive ever seen. great find though

6. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    Hey! That used to be my bass! I bought if off ebay and then sold it years ago on bassgear.com
    Cool bass and very light weight from what I remember. I like how the back was a red finish too. Also, not sure if that is the original bridge as there were holes drilled under the gotoh that was on there which I found when I took the bass apart to check everything out.

7. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Beautiful styling!
    What'd it set you back chief?

8. k5koy

k5koy

Oct 27, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.

Really?..Now we are getting somewhere. I am trying to trace origins. When did you get it? Was it Bartaloni equipped then?
    Thanks, Koy

9. k5koy

k5koy

Oct 27, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    Traded a fender Jazz for it....
    Koy

10. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    if you decide to sell that, i call first dibs.

11. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia

deep blue something with robin in hands of bass player

12. k5koy

k5koy

Oct 27, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    You got it Bro!....Dont hold yer breath tho...Just sayin!
    Koy

13. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    That is one sweet bass! Congrats.

14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Cool looking bass.
    The body reminds me of a 20th anniversary Stingray. Exact same type of finish front and back. Don't have a pic of the back, but it's red, too.
    The 20th SR came out in 1996. Any chance your bass is a '96?

attachment.

15. k5koy

k5koy

Oct 27, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    To ThumpBass: Thanks!

I wish I knew what year it was, evidently, theres no way really to find out. That MM looks great! I love the tortoise shell PG!
    Koy

16. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Oh I'm not! :D

Robin instruments are amazing though.

I bought an 80s Robin guitar and an old epi amp off of a guy for 65 bucks once. I had no idea who/what Robin was, but I knew the neck felt great. I got home with it and did some research and saw how expensive they were. I held onto it for a few years and never really played it. My guitar player offered me 100 bucks for it because he loved the neck and the single humbucker's sound was unbelieveable. I thought it was worth more, even though it had several nicks/dings. I ended up putting it on ebay after I saw a similar model go for a couple of hundred bucks. I ended up getting around 500 bucks for it! :eek: The guy that bought it was a Robin collector/player and was thrilled with it.

And yes, Robin guitars does not seem to help much in identifying the year/model of guitars that they made.

17. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Those pickups don't look like any Bartolini's I've ever seen. Never seen Barts with exposed pole pieces, or for that matter with pole pieces at all - all Bartolini designs I've seen have been blade-style, encased in full covers.

18. k5koy

k5koy

Oct 27, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    BassBoy: Thanks, I had not seen that article. Good info.

Bruce Wane: They may not be. I assumed they were because thats what the preamp is. Pickups themselves dont indicate that I could see. I will have to take a closer look...
    Thanks! Any ideas what they are?

Koy-West Texas