1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally found a use for my tone knob on my MIA Jazz :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pvt.Parts, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Pvt.Parts

Pvt.Parts

Aug 21, 2009
    Maple Ridge, BC
    I've always hated the way it sounded if my tone wasn't completely full, but today I accidentally bought a smaller gauge of string then what I normally like.
    I really liked the brightness I got from just playing fingerstyle but as soon as I tried slapping it just sounded completely awful.
    Anyways, I was scared of touching all my EQs after all the hours that went into that so I just turned my tone to about a quarter full and it sound's great slapping.
    Such an easy fix and I'm quite pleased with this light gauge (40-95 rotosounds)
    Yay for jazz basses!

2. Here's a trick: turn down both volumes to about half, and leave the tone full. The volumes act as tone controls.

3. Here's a neat Jazz Bass trick: turn down both Volumes to about 75%, and leave the tone fully open(brightest setting).

The Volumes now become Tone controls. To see what I mean, do this: move the Volumes, together, between 75% and 30% and you'll see almost no difference in actual volume or loudness, but a HUGE difference in tone.