Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally found a way to play together with friend

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzbo, Mar 6, 2002.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My best friend is an extremely talented musician, (vocals, piano, guitar, drums, bass), but we've never been able to work together because we've never found a comfortable way to mesh his love of Depeche Mode, Portishead and Squarepusher, with my love for Jamerson and all things jazz. Trust me, we've tried several bands, but he's always too "electronic" and I'm always too "busy."

We finally found what works. It's our similar sense of humor that made things work. So we're developing some music together with humor as the key. We finally put together what bands we both like, The Rugburns, Ben Folds Five and Weird Al Yankovic, recruited a drummer, and we're recording some songs as a trio, piano, bass and drums.

So far we've written 4 songs, one of them a parody of Ben Folds' "Brick". (See attachment, the lyrics to that one were mine so feel free to mock them). We also have a track on BART, (Bay Area Rapid Transit, SF's subway and L system). We have another on stealing office supplies, and the last one is about traffic in SF.

The real genius though, is in the name of our band:

Urethra Franklin and the Holding-It-In Dancers

This won out over "Moses White and the 9.89% Fixed APR Orchestra."

We're stupid.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Funny Lyric!

One thing, though: The L line is part of Muni (San Francisco Municipal Railway) which is why it sucks so bad.

Then again you're one of those East Bay types, so you're forgiven.

BTW, I'm playing @ The Canvas again on St Patrick's day. Come over and I'll buy you a green beer! :D

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You have to combine BART and MUNI since not everyone lives around here. Artistic freedom! :D

I'll be at the Canvas!