Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally found my "sound.."

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drumwoulf, May 22, 2003.

1. drumwoulf

drumwoulf

May 22, 2003
    Freehold NJ
    I finally got a bass guitar with the sound that I've been looking for; the Godin fretless A4... I love the double-bass sound but require the lighter weight and smaller convenience of a guitar body. So I plugged in the A4 at the store, and wow, there it was baby, close your eyes and it's an upright, oh yeah! Got a good deal from Sam Ash too, mostly because they had to match someone else's sale price, and also it was a slightly marred-in-the-finish demo......

It's not much unplugged; maybe only good for low key practice when my lady's asleep. But it's a sure strong bass plugged in though; in order to get that (non-blasting) upright tone I had to set my Hartke 12 Kickback's 3-way EQ controls to almost minus 9... (But also with the Shape control 3/4's on.) Beautiful beautiful sound, and I haven't even begun to fully experiment with it yet. I doubt if it'll ever be much of a slap-boinger, but it'll throb deep enough for Dub, that's for sure!

Joy! Joy!
    drumwoulf d];>]}

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    very cool!!!

Freehold huh? I'm down 9 a spell in Toms River.

welcome to TB :bassist:

3. drumwoulf

drumwoulf

May 22, 2003
    Freehold NJ
    Thanks James... Ever go to Albert Hall in Waretown to dig the Piney folk music and bluegrass? They have a garage next to the hall where people jam.

Only $4 admission, cheap hotdogs coffee and cake, and if you dig local music, it's a blast...!!!!

Skip

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I lived in Forked River for a while (that's pronounced 'fork-ed-river' and right up the road from waretown for you Bennies)... I haven't been there in ages... I think it burnt down and moved since I last visited. My grandpa (country&western guitarist) use to play there every now and again... but he never got accepted by the Piney's, he wasn't bluegrass enough.

I'll have to look into swinging by again.

5. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    drumwoulf, where is Sam Ash, im on the da Jersey shore, I would like to check it out. The only good music stores I have found during gas attacks are Red Bank Music, Toms River & Freehold music, and the Guitar Center in East Brunswick. Congrads on the bass.

George

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Edison & Cherry Hill are the 2 closest to me

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses