1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finally found my tone! Now help me find it in a four string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Renard, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Renard

Renard

Dec 11, 2008
    MA
    Hello all!

I recently got a Yamaha RBX-675A off of a fellow TB-er and the tone is AMAZING. I'll try and describe it using as few buzzwords as possible. Its very similar to entwhistle's tone on those oxcam vids from youtube:

Whats similar is the level of "natural" sounding grit the yamaha gets, even at low volumes. I like having a bit more bass than Entwhistle gets there, I feel he's really emphasizing the treble (But i may be wrong). Its something I also like about my Music man Sub, but the Yamaha gets a neck pickup in there to add some versatility. I play alot of hard rock and punk, but also a good amount of reaggae, so I like the versatility.

What I don't like about the Yamaha is that the strings are somewhat unbalanced, with more emphasis on the E and G. I have a Musican Man SUB and a Rick, both of which are famed for grit but just dont push it to the level I'd really like. I also have a Fender jag, which seems to not get any at all.

Unfortunately, i DONT like 5 strings. I'd like to get a SUPER gritty sound out of a 4 string, and I cant right now. Suggestions? I'm open to affects (Sansamp pedal maybe?), mods to my basses, especially the jag, or even suggestions of new basses to look at (I was thinking the lakland 44-01 mabye?)

Thanks everyone!

2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Find yourself a used RBX760A (4 string version of yours).

Search ebay, craigslist, etc... they pop up from time to time.

Good luck to ya! :)

3. Renard

Renard

Dec 11, 2008
    MA
    The voice of reason, haha! But thats probably the best advice. Thanks!!

4. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA