Finally found the Bass Max sweet spot!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Andrew_S., Apr 25, 2002.

1. Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Sheesh, I moved my Bass Max pickup about an 1/8th of a millimeter "up" under the wing and the sound eminanting from it is like a million times better.
    Don't get me wrong, I love this pick-up (All Hail Bob!), I never really realized just how "touchy" they are though. I'm thinking of outlining the wing over it so I know where that sweet spot is from here to eternity!

Anyone else mark their pickups for the best sound?
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Funny, but with my basses the position doesn't seem critical at all. There's very little difference when I move them about, so I'm sure these difference have to do with the bridge, and perhaps different levels of pressure.

But I'm glad the sound is pleasing you.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I also found that a certain pressure level makes for optimal sound on my bass. I can move mine around and get less pressure on the pickup, or more and it changes the tone fairly dramatically. My bridge wings came stock with too much space to use just the pickup alone, so I have to use a mahogany veneer spacer...I've wondered if that affected the efficiency, but overall, I'm really happy with the tone I'm able to get.
  4. When a shim has been needed, I have used saxophone reeds. With the taper, you can infinitely adjust the pressure on the pickup.
  5. Mine only sounds "right" with a specific side up, on the G string wing, and with med. to light pressure.

6. Yeah, but you're lucky if you can find 2 out of the whole box that will work ;)