Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FINALLY! GAS FREE! Now What?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumper, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    It really happened, I ran out of GAS, and I'm happy with my Laklands. Now I don't really enjoy coming here as much (and I do consider this home), I don't lust for gear, most of the threads seem to be just re-inventing the wheel, most of the old gang doesn't post as much. My opinions, are just that, my opinions, and seem irrelevant most of the time.

I'm nearly done recapping my bass history (strengths, weaknesses, why kept (or not) etc.) but I don't have a web site to put it on, and don't want to use too much bandwidth by putting it here. I will list the basses in my history, and if anyone wants specifics, feel free to ask.

I have learned, you should get the best bass, amp and speakers you can afford. Effects are nice to haves. Exotic tops don't make a bass sound better (IME). I need to practice more. Now that I'm happy with my basses I do practice more. Finding Talkbass was one of the best things I've ever done, and I've learned so much, and met the best people here.

I’ve owned 30 basses over the years. I use 2 Lakland 55-94s as my main basses and have gotten rid of my other “boutique/coffee table” basses having decided Laklands work best for me (2 bands covering 50 years of classic and hard rock). IMO they have the ultimate blend of comfort, playability, looks, and versatility.

The Roscoes were my second favorite boutique basses (Elrick for fretless). The main reason Laklands won out was weight and a very slight edge in versatility. My lightest Roscoe was 9.25 lbs, and truthfully I wish I still had it, the rest were 9.5 lbs and up. But when it came time to make my final selection, a Duncan equipped 55-94 fell into my lap. Now I have Bartolini and Duncan PUP’d Laklands, and I’m a happy camper. It sure is nice being off the GAS merry-go-round.

My bass history (as best as I can remember, sorry I couldn't line them up under headings) year acquired, bass, status, length of ownership:

1968 ’67 Vox Delta IV traded 31 years
    1983 ’66 Jazz keeper 21 years
    1984 ‘76 Gibson Thunderbird sold 15 years
    1996 ’75 Precision sold 2 years
    1997 Warwick Fortress 4 sold 1 year
    1998 Pedulla Rapture 5 traded 5 years
    1998 Steinberger Spirit 5 keeper 6 years
    2000 Lakland 55-94 dlx sold 8 months
    2000 Lakland 55-94 dlx traded 3 years
    2000 Roscoe LG 3005 sold 2 years
    2000 Fbass Studio 5 traded 6 months
    2001 Roscoe LG 3005 sold 3 years
    2001 Roscoe SKB 3005 traded 2 years
    2002 Warwick LTD 5 2000 traded 4 months
    2002 Sukop fretless 5 traded 1 year
    2002 ’77 fretless Precision traded 2 years
    2002 Rob Allen fretless 5 MB traded 1 year
    2002 Elrick Platinum fretless 5 sold 2 years
    2002 MTD 535f traded 1 year
    2003 Fbass BN5f sold 1 year
    2003 Modulus Genesis 5 keeper 1 year
    2003 Sadowsky Standard 5 sold 6 months
    2003 Lakland Standard 55-94 keeper 1 year
    2003 Roscoe SKB 3006 traded 4 months
    2003 Modulus Q5 traded 1 month
    2003 Benavente PJ5 keeper 1 year
    2004 Nordstrand SC5 traded 6 months
    2004 Zon Sonus 5/1 keeper 4 months
    2004 Lakland Standard 55-94 keeper 4 months
    2004 Gibson LP5 keeper 1 month

Please have safe Holidays!

2. Man, I thought I was bad...
    Congradulations on being gassless
    Happy Holidays

3. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Thumper, that is quite a list you've got there. And I hear you about talkbass in general... When I am gigging a lot I am on the boards a lot less. When I am looking for gear I am on the boards a lot more. I sense a pattern here...

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I have seriously made a commitment to keep the herd to 3 basses and just HANG ON TO THEM! two are coming up, an F bass and a Nordstrand- the approach i took was ultimate flexibility in tone and gig-friendlyness- I am sure they will fit the bill..
    however, I was telling Dan Lakin today that i was going to write "DON'T SELL ME" in permanent marker on the back of my lakland 55-94.
    It is just a superb bass that fits ANY situation from choppy jazz fusion to big band or latin... and everything in between. So I feel ya, my brother!

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    no one is ever GASless

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Adrian, that's exactly why the Laklands work for me. My band mates (both sets) also prefer them. I've made a committment to wear my style into my basses. When I'm gone somebodies going to say: "Whoever had these didn't play with a pick, rested his arm here, placed his fretting thumb along here, and played the heck out of them."

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

concur about the pretty woods thing, TB being a valuable resource for basplayers, and the endless repetition. No GAS does significantly reduce the intensity, threads of interest grow fewer, and posting the same thing for the 50th time demonstrates some futility (although it's somebodies first read). I still manage to find new info of use and old pieces with a new spin, aside from reminder's of what I already know.

But no, doesn't feel like the very first time.

8. Now that the GAS is gone. You might get some ASS.

Aquisition
    Selling
    Syndrome

:smug:

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  10. You need to start eating more fiber.

11. There's only one thing to do...get yourself a 7,8, or 9 stringer and embark on a solo career. :p

orrrrrr.....you could always switch to (should I say it)....GUITAR :bag:

oops...sorry

12. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Gaslessness is only a temporary condition and thankfully so. Once gas is put in motion it continues perpetually but in a series of short and long puffs. Your simply between puffs right now.