Finally getting my own place, but not being able to afford more gear!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by smitcat, Aug 14, 2005.

1. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    I am psyched that my girlfriend and I found a killer deal for an apartment. It is close to work for both of us (I can ride my bike everyday!!) and it is just awesome. But I know that we are going to have to buy some new furniture, homewares, etc.... I have been hoping to buy a geddy jazz for some time now, and it looks like i am going to have to wait until gig money starts coming in.
    While I am excited about getting a nice couch, recliner, etc... I don't know how long i am going to able to suppress my chronic GAS attacks. How do you guys and gals cope??
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just bought a car so im in the same boat as you. I have no money for bass stuff, or anything really.

Then i play my musicman sterling at band practice and realize that theres no bass that ive played so far that plays or sounds better than it, and im happy.
  3. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    you've got a great point. I bought a bongo a few months back, and every time i play it, i think, why do i need anything else (along with my jazz and my cirrus, that is)
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sometimes i feel we dont give our gear enough love. Ive had my sterling for about 8 months now and its really starting to feel like a part of me. The fingerboard is getting broken in nicely for me (I got it used from a TBer but) im starting to leave my mark on it, got some fingerdirt on it and a good amount of sweat has been shed while playing this thing, and it makes me love it even more.

I often go to my local music store and play all the basses there and most of them are garbage compared to mine. Warwicks are decent as well as some high end fenders, but most of the mid range stuff cant tough this, I gues tahts why its mid rangely priced though. Trust me i went through 5 mid range basses before getting my musicman and i shouldnt have waited so long. the very thing i was looking for, i found in this: amazing quality.
  5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I just play my basses and wonder if there is a tone that I really need that my current basses can't give me. I have a G&L and a 1st gen. Ibanez BTB. The answer is almost always no. You have a Bongo, Jazz, and Cirrus.

Sounds like you've got it good already, so just try and think of that. Maybe have a fling with another bass in a music store every now and then, or borrow a bass from someone. That should help keep your GAS in check.

Plus, you like your girlfriend enough to move in with her. That's got to count for something.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just moved into a house and while technically I can afford to do it once in a while, but really shouldn't anyway, I've managed to get some new gear (Been here 3 months and I've bought 3 basses and 2 amps, although one amp got returned, one bass got sold, and the other is in the midst of being sold). I know darn well I can't keep doing this, so my solution was to sell gear that I currently have for an amp and a bass that I KNOW will keep me happy for the long run. Right now I've got my P-bass strung with flats and foam mute, and I have an Ampeg B100R on the way. Considering that's THE tone for me, I know I wouldn't want anything more (for a long long time, if at all really).

Basically I'd suggest just narrowing down your scope to one bass, or one bass and amp that if you had to pick only one, you'd be happy with (think realisticly about what you REALLY want, not what GAS tells you you want). Then, try and spend as little money that you currently have, by selling any other gear you can part with in order to get the new stuff.

I can't say that the GAS will totally stop, but IMO, if you have atleast one amp and bass that will make you happy and gets you 90% of what you're looking for atleast, it makes it alot easier to cope.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, in riding your bike to work, throw $10 a week that you would've spent on gas in a box. Wait a while a year and you'll almost be able to afford that Geddy Lee. If you're really anxious, make it $15 or $20