1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally getting some nice tube overdrive sound from effect pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kesmit, Jun 29, 2014.

1. kesmit

kesmit Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I've been trying to get some nice compressed tube overdrive sound out of effect pedals for a while now. I've tried lots of different pedals that claim to do it (Darkglass Vintage Deluxe, VT Bass, Aguilar Agro, etc.), but I've never been happy with any of them. They generally do well in lower registers, but anything on the G string sounds brittle.

After a bunch of experimentation, I finally came up with a combination of pedals that seems to give me a nice overdriven tube sound. I see this issue come up a lot in the forums, so I figured I'd post my solution. Here is the chain.

MXR Micro Amp => Diamond BCP-1 => Aguilar Agro => Amp

I use the Micro Amp to greatly boost (dial at 3 o'clock using a P bass) the signal into the BCP-1. This causes it to compress more of the signal than it normally would; I'm sure just about any boost pedal would work fine. The Agro is setup with the presence and contour almost all the way down. The Drive is between 12 and 1 o'clock. The amp I'm using is a Markbass TA-501 which I think is hurting the process more than helping, but it does have a nice EQ section to tune the sound.

Of course, depending on your pickups, strings, EQ, etc., you'll have to tune it to your tastes, but this is as close as I've gotten to a sound that I like without the harsh sounding upper registers.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014