Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally getting some tens...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by georgestrings, Dec 6, 2005.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've been playing bass about 15 years or so, and have always played through two 15s - currently two Black Widows, to be precise... They sound pretty good to my ears, but I felt I was somehow missing something - so, I tried a 410 in a local music store, and liked what I heard... It was an old 410TX that was rode hard and put away wet, and it still didn't sound bad... I bought a much newer(and supposidly in much better condition) 410TXV, and should be getting it in next week... I also spent another $25 to get a 1 year warranty on it, so if anything isn't right, they'll fix it... I'm thinking this cab will rock with one, or both of my 15s...

Anyways, world of 10s, here I come!!!

- georgestrings

2. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    yep, im in the same boat as you... only i've only been playing for 1/3 the time that you have...

I always thought the bigger the speaker, the bigger the sound. That was before i took tone into serious consideration. So now im planning on getting a 4x10 cab with my new Genz Benz GBE400. :hyper:

3. The ultimate is a 4X10 with a 1X15 ;)

Now there's definition and rattle!

- Andrew

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why not a 12" loaded cab? might be the best of both worlds for you.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I'd have to play one before taking that plunge - I'm not exactly rolling in the dough, if you know what I mean... I suspect that I might be pretty happy with the 410 and either one, or both of my 15s - but would be willing to try some 12s, if the opportunity arose...

- georgestrings

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

That's what I hear - I suspect it'll work out pretty well for me...

- georgestrings

7. After playing numerous 410 and 810 cabs, I have decided that my personal taste needs something else to accompany the tens... 12s or a 15?

The 10s are great for articulation and punch, but I like the low mids of the bigger speakers (yes, I know I am generalizing here...) combined with the 10s. I used to play 2 15s, but it also felt like it was missing something to me...

I haven't tried 12s yet, but have ordered a schroeder 310212, so I guess I'll wait and see...