1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

finally giving my ampeg svt350h the boot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrashermatt, Apr 24, 2006.

1. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    could barely keep up yesterday with a 2x12 guitar combo, the limiter light was constantly on (i'm playing with a bse410hlf). today i tried the peavey nitrobass and boy was i happy, i've had the nitrobass in my basement for a while because i figured the ampeg would be a littler louder/better tone, but boy was i wrong, even though the nitrobass is 50 watts less, it sounds like 200 watts more, and i wasn't even close to the head limiting... thinking about trading in the nitrobass and gettin the firebass (700 watts @ 2 ohms) nitrobass (450 at 2 ohms)

2. I personally find Ampeg and SWR solid state amps to sound under their power rating. Don't get me wrong, they're nice sounding amps, but my old 150W Yorkville combo could beat the pants off of an Ampeg 350W head. Too bad she's dead now... :crying:

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You could go for the Peavey head, but if you prefer the Ampeg tone you could just attach a power amp to it fairly cheaply and boost the output a ton.

4. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I had a problem with my ampeg b2r hitting the limiter when I would push it. I took some bass off and added some more mids and it helped quite a bit.

5. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    hmm i never thought of the idea of adding a poweramp, my friend has a poweramp i'm thinking of trying that idea out. But i'm not sure how, how do i hookup the poweramp to the ampeg? do i output the poweramp or the ampeg to the cabinets? my guess would be to input to the ampeg poweramp out to the poweramp (duh) and output the poweramp to the cabs? does this work or do i need to use the ampeg speaker outputs at all? any clarification would rule