1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally going to see Tony Levin live

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Marial, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Just ordered my tickets for King Crimson's show in Seattle in October. I splurged a bit since they're one of my favorite bands and I wonder if they'll ever come to Seattle again. Center section, main floor, 11th row on the aisle. These are probably the best seats to any show I've ever been to for a band of this stature.

And I'll finally see Tony Levin live. He is probably the bassist I most try to model myself after.

And THREE drummers. It's going to be epic.

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I've seen Tony ...gosh, let's see, 8 times over the past 30+ years I think (er, yeah, 5 w/ King Crimson and 3 w/ Peter Gabriel) and despite my reservations about this latest KC lineup I am so going to see him a 9th time when they bring that band to NYC! He's always been a lesson in both creativity/inventiveness and humility/restraint...a rare combination.

3. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Damn no stops in San Francisco... I am so sad...

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ...or maybe not: $100 for 2nd mezzanine?!?!

5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Generally speaking, I won't spend more than $20 to see a show, but for KC I've made an exception. I'd do the same for Peter Gabriel, but that's about it.

KingKrabb likes this.
  6. Red Four

Red Four

Apr 4, 2011
    Missouri
    I'm planning to see them in Madison, WI - there, $100 got me second row, third seat from center aisle. I'll believe it when I'm in the seat. Value! Kicking myself that this is my first Crimson show ever, but couldn't let the chance pass by this time.

7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    My long-time concert road-trip buddy and I got tickets for both shows in Philadelphia. We haven't decided yet whether we'll do both, but wanted to cover all the bases just in case. The first night happens to fall on his 60th birthday, and that'll be my birthday present for him.

Frankly, I'm not sure if I'll dig at as much as previous incarnations of KC or not. I didn't care much for the "Scarcity of Miracles" stuff featuring an overlapping lineup. And I have no idea what it means for the "front line" to be three drummers. But if Fripp thinks this a good idea, I'm up for checking it out -- and maybe twice just to be sure....

8. KingKrabb

KingKrabb

May 9, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Man, I've been considering doing the same for the NY shows.

I'd have to buy a plane ticket as well, 'cause I'd be flying in from Puerto Rico. But, the chance to see Levin, Fripp AND Gavin Harrison together?!

Ughhh, my wallet hurts just thinking about it.

9. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Huh?
    They are playing the Warfield several times.

10. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Don't know how I missed that... only saw LA dates.

Buying tickets now. Lame that there's no general admission...

11. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I am jealous! LA or San Fran are a bit too far for this Arizona boy (even though it should be one of the greatest shows in a long while). I saw them in SF in 1981 and it was perhaps one of my top 5 concert experiences ever...