1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally got 8 10s!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ddbassGA, May 11, 2011.

1. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Picked up a second SVT410HE cab today so now I've finally got my matching 8 10's at 4 ohms. Stacked them and ran them with a some different heads (Eden WT800, Ampeg V4B, GK 400RB) and I smiled! The "new" one is an older US model, made with real plywood. Very nice condition and the drivers sound great.

Ironically, I'm gigging with pretty small gear these days, either on upright or electric in support of a small guitar based funky folk/acoustic soul band. But when the old-man rock band reassembles this summer I'll be ready...as long as I don't have to do the heavy lifting.

First time I saw an 8x10 setup for bass was in 1970. I was 18 playing two 100 watt tube heads into two 2x15 ported cabs with JBL D140's. I laughed out loud and thought this will never ever work for bass! I headed toward acoustic music, upright bass and jazz combo work soon after that so while I always maintained a small amp rig I sold the big rigs and never had a thought toward an SVT or 8 10's. Now over 40 years later, just months away from 60 years old I've finally got 8 10's stacked up in the jam space.

Eh? What did you say?