Finally got a Modulus Q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atldeadhead, Oct 3, 2003.

1. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Wow. The sound in your head really is in this bass.

I've been playing bass for almost 15 years and in that time I've pretty much played nothing but Fender instruments. For the past couple of years I've been reading a lot about Modulus basses and always thought that one day, if I could find a dealer in Atlanta, that I'd take the plunge, cough up the money, and buy myself a top 'o the line instrument. Well last Saturday that day arrived.

This bass is incredible. To begin with, the craftsmanship is light years ahead of what I've been used to playing. The fretwork and finish are flawless. The action, unbeleivably low. The tone.....oh my God, the tone. For the past week I've been playing this Ferrari in my basement and was totally impressed. Well last night I got to try it out with my band. I'm still on a high from the experience. It's amazing how a first class instrument can take an old solid state ampeg amp and make it sound fresh, new and exciting. I couldn't beleive my ears. The carbon fiber "35 neck is an awesome invention. Every note up and down the entire neck, on every one of the five strings, just sing. Fast, tight articulation. Not a dead spot to be found. Sustain for days. A fat, round, feel it in your chest, bottom end with a crystalline, bright, clear and clean top end. Absolutely gorgeous. Like the voice of an angel. So this is what a B string is *supposed* to sound like, eh?

A little bit about the bass:

-Modulus Q5 built in September 2002
    -Bubinga top with alder body and clear finish
    -"35, 24 fret (3 octaves!) carbon fiber neck
    -Composite fingerboard
    -All black hardware
    -Bartolini PU's
    -Bartolini electronics with active bass, mid, and treble controls (NTMB)

Somebody pinch me!

2. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX

Modulus Q5 is on the short list of basses that I one day hope to own. Now if I only had an organ to donate, and someone on the black market willing to buy it...

Have fun with it!

3. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Hi Don. I didn't have to sell any organs but I will have to sell almost all of my 'ole fenders. That's something I never thought I'd be able to do but after hearing this Q5 I've found all my hesistation is completely gone.

4. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    i'm no fender fan, but don't sell them all! you'll be sorry...

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Modulus basses are killer!! I have always wanted a Q6. Good luck with it man, I am sure you will enjoy it for years!

By the way, you may regret selling all of your Fenders! You might want to keep just one.
  6. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Yeah. A lot of people have told me not to sell them all. Never fear. I'm on the same page.

I have one '62 reissue jazz that I'm probably gonna keep. It's down to either the '62 reissue jazz OR a '01 Jazz Deluxe. I haven't decided which yet, but I'm leaning towards the reissue. That way I can have a modern tone (modulus) and a vintage tone ('62 reissue)
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yeah, I would also suggest keeping a Fender. What I've learned in all the years I've been playing is that variety is spice, and I will never have one favorite bass. So, this is why I currently own a Modulus and a Fender and a few other brands!

But I agree, the Modulus Q is a cool bass. Amazing string balance; the B string is clear as a bell.
  8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I too own a Modulus Q5. A 2003 Quilt Maple Blackstone top with Alder, EMG's, composite fingerboard. It is punchy and yes, the B string is tight, focused and totally musical.

I was at an Allman Brothers concert a week ago and listened to Oteill Burbridge. He played a Fender Jazz Bass most of the night through what appeared to be Ampeg SVT's. But occassionally, he played his Modulus Q6 and man, the difference in tone to me, the listener was incredible. The Modulus had a lot more low end authority while remaining focused and musical. I sort of wondered why he switched back the the Fender. The Fender J Bass sounded great in Oteil's hands. To my ears, the Modulus had a lot more definition and presence and blended with the mix just as well. Go figure.
  9. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002

I totally agree with you about the difference in tone between the Modulus and the Fender. In the project I'm currently involved in I have to switch back and forth between a Fender and the Modulus and difference between the two basses is like night and day. The definition, focus, and overall tone on the Modulus is far, far superior to a jazz bass. I guess there's just something about the *vibe* of an old jazz bass that a contemporary bass doesn't have.
  10. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Congrats altdeadhead,
    Just curious: did you try one with EMGs ? I'm usually not a big fan, but they seem to work really well with Mods
  11. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Just curious: did you try one with EMGs ? I'm usually not a big fan, but they seem to work really well with Mods

There is a modulus Quantum thread by JR Brown I believe that speaks about the newest flavor of EMG's Modulus is using. They are the CS series, not the older DC series. Apparently the new CS series are much warmer and are more well balanced. I alwasy wondered why everyone thought they were excessively bright? My Q5 with EMG's can be downright punchy and very balanced. I can also dial up the trble, but it remains very musical and is not wnhat I would consider to be harsh at all. That's my .02 worth.

12. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Awesome score. Congratulations!
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Nice catch... hold on to some key Fenders though... .02
  14. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I own a Modulus Vintage Jazz and absolutely love it. Something to consider. It captures that vintage Fender Vibe perfectly yet still has the craftsmanship and feel of a contemporary bass. Also, it isn't too hard to get a more contemporary tone out of it. Mine has Barts and a Bart pre and I string it up with flats. Wonderful buttery tone with an excellent pitch focus (largely due to the graphite neck I believe). I have played many Fenders in my time and would not trade my Modulus Jazz for any of them...
  15. I've got one for sale! Almost exactly like his, only flamed maple on top (natural finish).
  16. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Thanks for the tip, Geoff. Unfortunately it will be sometime before my wallet heals from the blow it took in purchasing my Q5 :)

Have a positive day my friend.
  17. Very fine bass you've purchased my friend, good luck with it. :)

I personally feel its an old school tone/vibe vs. modern tone/vibe. A good old Fender is just fat and growly and sounds the way the average listener would expect a bass to sound in a track. If you replace the Fender with the modern sounding Modulus that listener isn't going to know what the difference is, but he'll say, damn, this band sounds great. :) That tight, focused, powerful bottom of the modulus when played along with the right drum kit/drummer will really give a nice modern sound. Its all a matter of the overall sound you're after as a group, you know?