Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally got a replacement neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 22, 2001.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    As some of you here may know, My Fender Deluxe Active Jazz bass headstock somehow got a crack in it. Luckily it was covered under warranty. As most of you know I am overall a very big fan of Fender bass guitars. But this situation has me a bit turned off by them. It took 13 weeks for them to get a replacement neck to me. The 1st neck they sent was'nt the right size. That also didnt impress me much. So now it has been 13 long weeks and the replacement finally came in. The original neck on it had no fret buzz. Now since the new one has been put on and the dealer reset the intonation: my B string has a very nasty fret buzz and the E string has a very weak sound and buzzes when playing it open. I basicly have fret buzz on every string now, where as I didnt have it before. I have yet to check to see if the frets are all level, but if they arent, Im wondering if having them shimmed down a bit to level everything out will be covered under the warranty. I would think it should be as its a brand new neck and should be level. Id also like to add that the bass potentiometer on it is also bad. I bought this bass as a backup to my MIA deluxe and havent even had it a year yet and feel that none of these problems should be happing. I am still very impressed by the overall tone of the bass, but its the construction of the MIM Deluxe Active Jazz that I have serious doubts about now, as well as how shoddy I was treated by Fender's customer service department. I post this so that any one considering the purchase of this bass is a bit more knowlegeable about what may happen to theirs, ( I have seen this same exact defect on 3 mim deluxe actives so far) and to let them know how they MAY be treated by Fender. 13 weeks cmon now. Luckily I am still having no problems with my MIA Jazz Deluxe :)

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    better late, then never!

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    If you have fret buzz on every string I seriously doubt that your bass is setup properly. Setup is not something the manufacturer does, read that as wood changes with climate, so either you or your tech should start with some adjustments. You should really learn to do this yourself, it's not rocket science, and then you will be happier with your instruments. Good luck with whatever you decide. If your usual guy can't get the buzz out take it somewhere else. I've had fret buzz before, a truss rod tweak and magically it's gone the next day.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That's important to remember, adjust a little then wait...it can take a bit for the neck to move.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I already know how to do all that myself, this post was more informative in nature as to aprise everyone of what kind of service to expect from Fender if they should need some sort of warranty service preformed.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd have a pro look at it, even though you know how to do it.

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    So why is the dealer setting your intonation? And, I assume, you had your warranty service handled by your dealer, are you sure he's not the problem rather than Fender? And between you and your dealer you don't know why you have a fret buzz problem?

I'm not pickin' on ya dude, but your statements seem to raise more questions than answers.

8. Thanks for the warning cassanova. This bass is one of the ones I was looking into for my upcoming bass purchase and you comments will affect my decision.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I know your not pickin on me and its all good. The dealer I took it too isnt the same one that I bought it from, thats mistake #1. The reason they did the intonation was because it was a new neck covered under warranty. They set the action intonation etc to the factory specs when they put the new neck on. If Id have had to spend my money on a new neck Id have done all that stuff myself. But seeing as its all warranty work, I think its best to let an "authorized" repair tech do all the work as to not void any of the warranty. I plan on taking it to the original place of purchase and let him look at it and let him take care of any. necessary repairs. I know they will treat me right. The beauty of it is the new neck is warrantied as well. I dont blame the dealer so much as I do Fender, for it taking 13 weeks for the new neck to come in.

10. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Taking it to a dealer you know will treat you right is a great idea. :D

Regarding the 13 weeks, that is excessive, but sometimes the story goes like this. Dealers will often place a large order to Fender all at once and will wait until their "regular" order goes in before ordering anything specifically for another customer. I've read stories like yours before where ultimately the dealer was the culprit in the delay. I won't say Fender is perfect because they're not, the dealers are not, and we are not. But, I have seen Fender VP's get personally involved with very small customer complaints and get them resolved, and I think that's pretty cool.

I'm sure you'll get your neck setup to your liking so you can enjoy your bass again.

Rumble on! :cool: