Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally got my Fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScottyBoy, Jul 8, 2005.

1. I have been scrimping and saving for a fretless for a long time now. I have also been on the lookout for a used 5 string fretless for under $1000 US and then this baby came up on Ebay.

Its a 97 Warwick Corvette Standard. Because its a 97 warwick it has the brass nut and wenge neck. The previous owner had bartoloni pickups and pre-amp installed. It also has the finish on fingerboard done by Pedulla. The seller was gracious enough to send to me in Australia. All in all a perfect deal. I have only had it for one night and am in the process of setting it up for that maximum mwah - which there seems to be plenty of :hyper:

Here it is with its baby brother - an ash corvette standard. I wasn't purposely after a warwick fretless, let alone a corvette - its just what came up and I couldn't be happier.

Attached Files:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Nice Pair!

I like barts jazz in a fretless.... and the board coating is a nice score too!

3. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Nice!

Gota Love Warwicks ;)

4. Nice score man, congradulations!!!

I picked one of those up in a GC several weeks ago, I didn't want to put it back on the wall... But i didn't want to pay 900 for it either!

~Ryan

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very VERY nice. Looks like coated fretboards are the rage these days. Hardly ever see fretlesses without 'em anymore.

6. That pedulla coating was definately a bonus and its hardly got a scratch on it.

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    hey men..you have a very nice couple..the fretless looks beautifull like the best bass...congratulations and enjoy the new sounds :bassist:

8. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I played a Corvette standard 5 fretless in a GC and it killed! I would be very happy to have one.

9. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Please tell me more about this coating. I just purchased a Modulus GVJ4 fretless that has a chechen FB. I spoke to a guy at the place where it was originally purchased and he said that the chechen FB is very dense and thus should not be susceptible to scratching and wear.

Is this coating something that I should still be considering??

Attached Files:

10. From the Pedulla site
    Our fretless Buzz Bass has an ebony fingerboard, finished with a thin coating of polyester (80% as hard as glass). Too much coating would diminish the effect of the fingerboard on the sound. The thinner coat allows the ebony’s low-mid response to remain an acoustic factor. The coated surface is smoother and harder than the wood, and sends more energy back into the string. The result is increased sustain, a more defined attack, a wider swell, and a mega-growl in the low-mids. The coating also protects the finger board from the wear and tear of round wound nickel strings. (Not all basses with coating produce a sound like that of our Buzz Bass-there are many other factors of design and construction that gives the Buzz Bass it’s unique voice.)

11. Nice score! I just got a '94 Warwick Fortress 1 fretless (4-string) on Ebay. Great purchase! Plays like a dream and sounds awsome, even if it doesn't have actives. May change that in the future...we'll see.

Enjoy! ;)

12. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I've been looking to buy a nice accoustic/electric fretless, maybe a Washburn...I don't know -- not to hijack, but does anyone have any reccomendations in this realm?

13. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Thanks Scotty,

Based on their caveat, it would appear that such a coating is not necessarily indicated for my chechen fingerboard.