Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally got my G&L L2500 in today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassistGod, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Just recieved it a couple of hours ago from the UPS driver. Here are some of my first impressions after giving it a good look over and sitting down for a session of jamming along to a few tunes.

From every perspective imaginable, this bass is flat out awesome. And I got it for a steal of a price on ebay.

This bass is definately the king of versatility. It can do the P thing, a very good impression of a J, and a surprisingly half decent Ray.

I've owned a lakland 55-02 that was also versatile, but not nearly as much as the L2500. I much prefer the L2500 electronics' tone and tone control over the laklands' barts. The construction on the G&L is second to none. The meticulous attention to detail on the fretwork gives an ultra "broken in" feel to the neck. The natural tone of the bass is more to my liking also as compared to the lakland.

I've also owned a stingray 5 and 4 and both were great basses. I liked the 4 more. However, the G&L in my opinion is the better bass. It does remind of the stingray in a few areas, like the feel of the neck, although the G&L feels a bit thinner. The G&L though has a bit more of a refined feel and the better electronics.

All in all, it's an amazing bass! I will post pics asap.
    I will be selling off my fender PJ Special as the G&L has taken its place. Shameless plug accomplished. :ninja:

2. Apparently this is as big as they get.

Attached Files:

3. Congrats!

It's amazing that G&L basses were far under the radar for years. I was able to pick up quite a few at low pricing for a while. But they are being recognized by bass players more...

Wait till you try it with a band, they will notice the sound too! :bassist:

4. Hey i got a question for ya!

While i love the versatility of my lakland 44-02, It just doesint have that kind of punch that im looking for. I noticed that we have the same bass. What specifically did you like about the GLs tone more than your Lakland?

5. The G&L seems to have a bit more mid growl and just a better tone overall imho. I felt the lakland's mids were a bit to refined a smidge too much clarity or top end. The maple neck could have been a factor though. Even so, the overall quality and workmanship of the bass seriously blows away the 55-02 I owned, and the sad fact is that I paid quite bit less for the G&L and its in mint condition to boot. I guess it was my turn to get lucky. :hyper:

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    BassistGod,

I just got a used G&L (mint condi also) and it really is awesome.

Lovely!

7. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    If I ever buy a five string, it will be a L-2500. have fun.

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yes, yes! Come to the Darkside.....

9. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Hey, you're giving away our secrets here. They are rubbish. Don't have a mid control, no scratch plate, funny headstock, only 9V electrics, no exotic woods, weigh a ton. Don't touch them. Leave them to us gullible enthusiasts ... :mad:

10. LOL!

They do stink! I had to duct tape the neck back on after hitting the string too hard. :eek:

11. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    LMAO!!!
    Congrats BassistGod.
    I wish I could get a USA made G&L, but the wife and I just bought a new house in Jan. so my gas list have been put on hold. I have the G&L Tribute L-2500 which is as close as im going to get.
    I have been finding myself latley going back to my Fender Hot Rod because I don't have to unplug it when i take a break from Practicing. Also I'm afraid im going to where my switches out. :)

12. Thats brings up a question I have about the L-2500. Does it have true passive mode? I am a passive bass guy and from what I can tell, there is a switch that activates passive mode on the bass.

13. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I don't know if it is a true passive mode. I think it will still drain the battery if the cable is left in. There is a diagram some where that shows all the switches. here:

http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/ASATbass_L2000_L2500_controls_diagram.pdf

:eyebrow: dont know if i really answered you ?.

Funny thing after reading your post I went and picked up my tribute. :)

14. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yes. It is a true passive mode. It works just fine without the battery. The battery does drain if you leave the cord plugged in even in passive mode, but the pre-amp is out of the circuit.

So if the battery dies, flip the switch, you are good to go.

Cheers,
    Chris

15. Thats exactly what I was after. Thats another reason I prefer the G&L over the "Ray. You always have passive mode as an option if the battery dies.

Thanks

16. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Thiose pickups have so much output that active isn't essentiial.

17. True.

I 've been playing my L2500 all today as a result of this post also...

18. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I agree. Using an envelope filter in active is nearly impossible, and even in passive you have to roll the volume off a little bit... massive output.

Active mode has its charm, and I used to play it almost exclusively, but I've found I like the passive vibe a bit more now. Congrats on the purchase.

19. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    I'll just have to be patient. I sold my ASAT bass a few months back to help pay for a JB-2 (everything I hoped for). I've now finally found an L-2000 I liked and could afford and it is on its way across the Atlantic - hopefullly by the end of next week.

I've nothing against ASAT's by the way but that particular bass didn't quite do it for me.

20. legacygone

legacygone

Feb 25, 2005
    NYC
    Hey I own a g&l 2500 and stingray 5, but I just got a rick 4003 and love it. I am going back to 4 strings cuz my band smiply doesn't need it. I am trying to sell off gear including an svt4 pro and an ampeg combo. I think I wll sell the stingray as well. BUt I just can't decide if I should keep the G&l. Its an awesome bass and I prefer over the sting ray. I really need the money, but looking for an excuse to keep the G&L. any opinions?

Dx2