Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally got my hands on a 5'er.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 70hemicuda, Nov 19, 2003.

1. First experience playing a 5 string today. I think I can say it was the most fun I've had thus far in my bass playing days. I kept wanting to play the B string in place of the E and the A and D strings kept throwin me off but I guess if I buy one I'll get used to it. Oh, BTW it was a Dean Edge without active electronics. It was a good bass but with the limited time I had with it I couldn't get a really good sound out of it. It sounded too muddy when you really got playin. So this weekend is 5 string shopping :)

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    One word: Bongo.

Okay, now some other words: Stingray 5. Very good bass if the Bongo is too radical for you!

3. Anti_Social

Anti_Social Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    After I played a fiver once, I never went back. Welcome to The Cult of 5, my brother. :) I'd reccomend the Ibanez BTB line. Very nice, especially the higher up in model you go. VERY especially if you play heavy.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a passive Edge 5 fretless and I love it. Great bass.

5. Well, I got more time with the bass on Thursday during Jazz Band. I must say, the more I played it, the more it grew on me. I'm still gonna go bass shoppin tomorrow because I don't want to buy that Dean and then end up playing something I like better thats in the same price range. If you guys have any other suggestion on new guitars, send em my way. My price range is probably gonna be $500-$750.