Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally Got my Lightwave Set Up-Awesome!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Franklin229, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    My old fiddle has become too fragile and awkward to take to every gig, so I've been on a quest for the ultimate portable upright. I've tried a bunch- Yamaha, Zeta, NS, Wish, Turner and the like. Turner sounded great but I could not get into the look. Plus, I wanted an ebony fingerboard. So along comes this Lightwave Sabre on eBay-took a chance and bid/won. I finally set it up today with Thomastik Acousticore strings, plugged it in, cranked the mids and I was amazed!! If anyone has been on a similar quest, I recommend trying one out. If anyone else out there has comments on these basses, I'd love to hear them.

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i thought Lightwave was a 3D rendering program.

congrats on your bass.

f

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So, if I read this right, you are saying that you have a convincing upright tone with your Lightwave system?

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Congrats on the Sabre! My Classica is one of my 2 "goto" basses. I've strung it with TI Jazz Flats.

5. LightWave has a video demo somewhere on their site, with a bassist demonstrating some different tones (including DB-like emulation).

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  7. Wow, I really want a bass with lightwaves.

Maybe I should get another TBC. Only a newer one.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Lightwave's really cool, but I've heard that the tone doesn't change when you pluck in different places. My tone is very much a technique thing, so I'm not sure Lightwaves would really fly high with me. They probably sound GREAT, but not like me...ya know?

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You'd have to try one. I can hear a difference on mine, but I've heard the same rumors as you.

10. Franklin229

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Absolutely! The bass is not for everyone-the other tones are "OK", as with any optic/piezo only instrument I've tried. The strings really make a big difference as well. As for right hand position, I play right on the end of the fingerboard where there seems to be a good balance between tone and string feel.

11. Franklin229

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I would also add that the demos on the web site are pretty good-although I actually prefer the acoustic sound I'm currently getting better than the demo.

12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Cool, I need to check that out.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Good to know!