Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally got my new F bass locked in!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Nov 7, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Man, those Hipshot bridges can be awfully idiosyncrattic. They can be a real pain to get locked in (from a setup standpoint), probably because they're so precise. A minuscule turn in either direction will make the string sound completely different. But boy, once they're locked in, what a great sound! These F basses are the cat's meow. Mine has a thin spalt top and cherry burst finish, and it finally sounds like an F bass is supposed to. Took me six months to get here, and now it feels like I've finally arrived. Just wanted to share the joy! :D

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats.

I just got my second one (used) and it probably took about an hour to really dial it in for me (I like the action really low). I agree, the Hipshots are very precise. I tweaked that, the truss and the pickup height and ended up with another F that plays like a beast. My latest is a Red BN-6 with a flame-ish Maple board. really feels broken in.

Pics?
    :eyebrow:
    :D

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Birdseye board. :D

That stuff in the middle that kinda looks like the burst isn't quite symmetrical - that's actually the spalt. It's kinda hard to see in the pic, 'cause it's about the same darkness as the darker part of the burst. It works great under purple lights, 'cause the burst catches the light and the spalt absorbs it. :)

4. waxbass

waxbass

Nov 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You guys have more guts then I do :smug:

I have a Studio 5......plays and sounds so friggin nice that I've been afraid to dick with it :p

Plus, it's my backup bass, so........

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've owned two Fs, the first one I had serious troubles trying to dial in. I couldn't get the action low enough without getting some slight buzzing. I rememberred playing with the bridge saddles and it being very fickle to say the least. I ended up selling it a little while later. My newer one is a bit better, but still fickle in terms of adjustment, but I'm learning how to deal with it a bit better, but I'll agree, once it's set to that point, it's certainly sweet!

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Was this the bass that was for sale a little while ago on ebay?