1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally got my tone, so why am I depressed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Captain Simian, Mar 29, 2009.

1. After many years of trying different basses, amps, cabs, and pedals I have finally achieved the tone I've been hearing in my head since I started playing. Various Fenders through a Danelectro chorus and a BBE Sonic Stomp into a Markbass LMII combo. For the last month I feel like my tone is just kissing me everytime I play. Usually I changed settings on my amp constantly looking for the sound. I have only done very minor tweaking and usually it's just the volume and gain. To make sure I've recorded my last two band rehearsals and sure enough my tone is killer. Thick, full yet cutting through beautifully with just a tiny, tiny minuscule bit of fuzzing. I finally found what I feel is my sound. Why am I not happier about this? I should be thrilled but I'm actually a bit bummed. Can't quite figure out why to be honest. Maybe it's because the thrill of the chase is gone? Has anyone else gone through this?

2. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    I kinda felt the same way. Then a new set of strings made me happy. I dont know dude.

3. :D
    Thats when I bought myself a Telecaster and Fender Pro Jr.!

4. It's the journey, not the destination. ;)

5. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Just play the bass.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Exactly what i came here to post.

7. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    I think I can get what you mean about being depressed about it. It was trying all the cabs and basses, the experience of it all, and trying to get the tone. Now that you've got it, you can stop searching, must be one hell of a gear change.

Edit: Huh, looks like some guys above me said it best :)

I'm a little depressed myself, but for the opposite reasons. I don't have the time or capital to try cabs, amps and basses to find "that tone", my tone. I'm stuck with the same sound I've been hearing for the past 4 years. Surely it will pass of course.

8. The search for tone is fun because there's always something else to try out there. Now that you've found it, you've lost the drive to keep pushing. Perfectly understandable.

9. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    +1... this is what its all about!

:bassist:

10. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    You've found the cure for your G.A.S.

Like any reformed addict, depression follows withdrawel . . .

11. search Chopper Read on U tube 4 that reference

back on track,
    +1 on the 'journey' but now U ARE 'there' sit back & relax in the knowledge that 99% of the gigs U do from now on are gonna sound GREAT, concentrate on yr playing, gettin in the groove etc....

Congrats on gettin there!

12. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    If you're anything like me, you'll start playing with the tone again in a week or so for some variation. I've found "the" tone many times but always change it anyways. Plus, tone isn't static and will definitely play upon your other band member's EQ settings and room settings.

I'd say, enjoy the "Zen" tone now while you have it. You'll be back tinkering EQ again before you know it. :)

13. Time to learn the flute...

not give up bass...just learn another instrument to keep the juices flowin'

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not me. Anyone who gets depressed because they've finally figured it out needs their head examined. Once you get a sound you like, you can concentrate on what's really important...picking up chicks!

15. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Maybe try playing in a couple different kinds of bands and gigs that you haven't tried before.

I love my tone for hard Rock-funk, but I needed to learn to eq a bit differently for Reggae and Ska and Jazz.

As well, You might want to try playing some solo classical stuff on the bass.

It proved to me that there are a billion different tones out there that work, and there is not ONE overall awesome tone for all kinds of music.

Even if you don't plan on playing those kinds of music full-time, it may give you a different "tone-perspective".

16. You know, it's like, you spend all this time and effort getting there, trying to solve the puzzle. And when you get there, there is elation, but a sense of being lost as you don't know where to go from there!

Either your tastes will change and you'll end up on a gear hunt again, or you'll have to start focusing on your playing to get more enjoyment out of music!

17. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    You crazy

18. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Send all your basses and amps,cabs to me.That'll put you back on the track for the search.You'll be happy,I'll be happy,what else is there?;)

19. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Well, your perfect sound can't be perfect for everything, so hunt for another tone!

20. Ha! somthing a non aussie wouldn't understand!