Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally got the Lord Only CD - my review

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Flatwound, May 31, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    In a nutshell: I like it.

I kept forgetting to order this CD, but I finally remembered, and I'm glad I did. I like prog quite a bit, and if this isn't prog, I don't know what is. I looked at JT's profile, and didn't see any influences listed, so I'll give you a couple: Chris Squire and Geddy Lee. John sometimes sounds like what would happen if you combined these two guys and gave the resulting bass monster a 7-string. This is not at all a criticism, I'm putting JT in good company, and I might point out that he definitely has his own style.

While as a bass player, I play special attention to the bass, I don't want to imply that "Fear and Trembling" is just a bass shred-fest. It's a great CD with great songs and outstanding musicianship on all counts. But John is a big part of the music. The guitars can take flights of fancy while he keeps it going, perhaps not always in the traditional "bass player" mode, but this is a man who's pushing the limits of bass guitar. He and Jim provide solid rhythm section work throughout, although JT does stretch a bit on his solo work.

If I had to find fault with anything, some of the super-high vocals sound maybe a bit weak. But not everyone is Geddy Lee. And the vocals in general are very strong.

"Wounded" is the most "accessible" tune IMO, and probably has the most hit-single potential of any of the songs.

I remember that it seemed like it took years for the guys to mix this album. It was time well-spent. I'd love to see them live, but I don't think they're doing San Diego anytime soon.

And yes, I'll buy the next CD when it's available.

2. TOUR PROVIDENCE! TOUR PROVIDENCE! TOUR PROVIDENCE! TOUR PROVIDENCE! TOUR PROVIDENCE! TOUR PROVIDENCE! TOUR PROVIDENCE! TOUR PROVIDENCE! TOUR PROVIDENCE! TOUR PROVIDENCE! TOUR PROVIDENCE! TOUR PROVIDENCE!

:hyper: :help:

Please... :crying:

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thank you very much flatwound, that's a great review. chris squire and geddy lee are two of my biggest influences. add stanley clarke and steve harris and that's probably 90% of my playing right there. heh. :eyebrow: :D

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

heh, ok. what's some good places to play there? we want to go out of town to gig, and shoot, that's not that far from atlanta. heh.

5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh yeah. at the time that i first wrote this song i was in a cover band that played a lot of rush and iron maiden tunes, among others. i've always really loved yyz, but i was getting really tired of playing it, so i came up with something that would satisfy those particular urgings without -being- yyz. know what i mean? :)

7. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, play a gig in Richmond or Norfolk sometime. I'd love to see the band live :bassist:

8. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    LO certainly are worth seeing, if you get the chance...

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    SCREW PROVIDENCE! SCREW PROVIDENCE! SCREW PROVIDENCE! SCREW PROVIDENCE! SCREW PROVIDENCE! SCREW PROVIDENCE! SCREW PROVIDENCE! SCREW PROVIDENCE! SCREW PROVIDENCE! SCREW PROVIDENCE!

COME TO DC! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: