Finally got to check out some Bag Ends - Here's what I thought.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kurt M., Mar 27, 2002.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA

After a recent post on talkbass I've been re-examining my current rig. There's pretty much buzz around the Bag End stuff so I decided to check them out. I currently play a Genz Benz 4X10 and have played Hartke and SWR in the past.

The S15D. Very light and very small. Seems built well. Sound wise it didn't floor me but I'd say for what it is it sounded better than one would expect. The S15BD. This one kinda grabbed me. It's the same as the S15D except in a much larger enclosure. Noticeably more bottom especially below say A. The D12D (2 12"). This one didn't have the punch of 10's nor did it have the bottom of the 15's. At 4 ohms I couldn't see using it alone and that's the only way I could use it. So, my thoughts on the 2/12 were basically, "what's the point". I listened to the 4/10 and it sounded good but no better than a number of other 4/10 cabs I've heard. I also played the 15"ers with the 4/10. Really I couldn't live with either of the 15's without some 10's. The ten's really wake up the total sound. I also tried the S15BD with an Eden 4/10 and an Eden 2/10. I'd have to say that that was my best combination. Really stood out to me. All in all I'd have to invest in the S15BD with either a 4/10 or a 2/10. I played through my current Ampeg head and used a Spector NS5CR (my favorite sound for loud angry music), A Warwick Thumb 5 bolt on (disappointing sound lacked the brightness and level I'm used to), and a Roscoe LG3005 (wow, I was surprised that this one edged out the Spector -- not by much). Anyway I tried to really test things with a variety of stuff to get a good feel for these cabs. Just thought others might appreciate my input. Any body else got any thoughts? I haven't made my purchase yet!

2. I've been using a Bag End cabinet for about 10 years. It's a single 15 enclosure, similar to the S-15B-D, but oriented on the vertical rather than the horizontal. For most of that period, I ran a GK 400 RB through it. Lately, I've been using a MusicMan HD-130 (great retro tone), but I'm planning on adding an SWR soon.

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about this cabinet. First, I always have gotten good comments on my tone, which I attribute to the cabinet. I shoot for as much bottom as possible, and this cabinet delivers.

Of course, with a 400RB, I've never approached the max input level (400w total), but even when I've driven it as hard as I could, it's always responded sweetly.

It's been abused. The dog has peed on it. It has been dropped. In fact, after one gig, it actually flew out of the back of my pickup truck when I took a quick turn, hit the concrete and rolled to the side of the road. Came back like a champ.

I can't say enough good things about this cabinet. Even with the 1-15, the highs are reproduced fairly well, though I've often wished for an extra 2x10 on top just for grins.

Definitely worth the investment.
  3. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    You might want to reaudition those cabinets with a more powerful amplifier. The Q10BX-D rates at 800-3200 watts/8 ohms.
    If your playing a 4-10" and going to one S15 it's not going to compare. Try the S15B-D and the S15X-D together with the proper amount of power (again these are both 8 ohm cabinets).
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Word. I liked my S15-D with my G-K 400RB, but I LOVE it with my Carvin DCM1000 rig. More power! More power!
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I got a Bag End S15 D a couple of weeks ago.Except for the largest clubs that I play the BE is now my gig cabinet. That says a lot considering that my other gig cabinet is an Eden D410XLT.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I think this has a lot to do with your reaction.

Bag End was the first company to attempt more of a hi-fi approach to cabinet design (compared to Fender, Ampeg, Marshall, etc. boxes of the time) back in the 70s. Their first big endorsers were guys like the Dead and Chick Corea, players looking for a well defined sound but not an "in your face" sound at all.
  7. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Any thoughts on the S12D compared to other 12"'ers

How bout the S12D and the S15D?

Are the Bag End S15D and the S12D Bass reflex or transmision line?
  8. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I do play loud music in a hardrock band. I like a lot of bottom with a bit of a growl. If I was looking for something with less bark to it the S15D might do. But, if you really want low end the BD option is worth the money.

I've got 450W to work with. I agree that you can never have too much power. A power upgrade would be great. But, more power isn't going to equal more bottom. It just wasn't there in the S15D like it was in the S15BD. I never took my amp past half in the music store and I was rattling the walls so I guess unleashing more power during a music store audition might piss people off.

I also tried the S15D and the S15BD together. I still liked the 10/15 combination better. Now I didn't hear any of the Bag Ends with the Coax. Those might fill the void.

Hey these are just my thoughts. I'm going to invest in the Bag Ends I'm just not sure what combo yet.

Thanks to everybody--at least nobody has had anything negative to say about them.
  9. To AndyGlL the 12, 15 combination is what I have for about a year now and it I find it damn near perfect! Plus its a very cool looking little mini stack,the S12d & S15d are the same width and depth with stackable corners.
  10. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Thanks Rick,

Ive never actually heard these cab. Nice to know you have two. Because they're almost the same size and wieght, if you had to choose one over the other would you go with the 12 or the 15. Can you talk to me about the differance in punch and projection. Do either fart at high volumn on the low E. I'm real spoiled with my Ag359 and my eden 210 xlt so I would use one of these for a lighter practice cab and extention if and when I need it.

Thanks again..for your input.
  11. Well Andy I think either cab would work fine for the application you spoke of. I suppose if I were to add only one to a 210 ,I'd probly go with the 15. The 12 does seems to have a little more midrange punch but that may only be because its closer to my ears and being off the floor seems to make the lows a little less transparrent (if ya know what I mean). I mostly play a Stingray 4 with an SWR sm400s and the open E sounds huge ,never heard a fart yet. These cabs can handle much more power than the 500watts I usually put thru them, and yet they still sound great with my ampeg B2r thats only 350 watts @ 4 ohms. I rarely use my Goliath lll 410 since getting the Bags and would highly recommend them to anyone.
  12. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Rick, Sounds like a great endorsement. Thanks a lot.