Finally got to rage quit!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by markoc, Apr 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    Felt good and bad at the same time. BL and I have been together for 10yrs. Let me just say, neither of us were being very nice to each other.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  2. Good for you.

I can think of a couple of times when I did it all nice and professional, and it was not appreciated and blew up in my face. I shoulda rage quit more than I have.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    10 years? What was the problem? Why wasn't it dealt with before?

4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Pics of fired drummer or it didn't happen.

5. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    It's a lot of things but the final straw was basically him threatening to replace me if I didn't blow off my gig with another band next weekend and play with him. I'm not gonna do that so I called him on the threat.

andruca, ONYX and hrodbert696 like this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    So he already knew you had another gig?

7. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    Yes, here's the full story. I average about 14-15 gigs a a month playing with 4 to 5 different bands, because of this I will not even discuss any dates unless I have my calendar in hand to avoid any problems. About 6 weeks ago he mentioned that he had some potential new dates coming up but nothing firm yet. Last week he asked me about playing on the 22nd, I replied that I was already booked that night. Didn't hear back from him until a couple of nights ago when he calls and start yelling at me for bumping his gigs for better ones and threatening to replace me unless I back out of the commitments I've made to play with him. I had no choice but to call his threat and tell him I don't work that way and to go ahead and replace me.

8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    It's hard to juggle multiple band gigs so the calendar is the best way. If you had a "commitment" scheduled on the 22nd and he had a "Potential" gig on the 22nd .. you win. Now the question is ... will you be able to get by just playing with only 4 bands? As Tarek El Moussa says on "Flip or Flop" ... "time to find another band to flip" ;)

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Not easy to juggle that many busy bands.

markoc likes this.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I usually send out blackout dates to all the different bands I play/sub in. I don't like BL's who book gigs without checking with band mates first.

dbase, andruca, markoc and 1 other person like this.
  11. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Seems to me that you made the right choice and he knows it. If he wants the bandmembers to keep more of an open calendar to accommodate him, then he should get better gigs and pay more. How hard is it to figure that out?

Besides, BL, like drummers, are over-rated for the most part. ;)

The only thing to remember is that how we treat people is more of a reflection on us, not the idiot who deserved it.

andruca and markoc like this.
  12. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    I will probably need to add something back into the schedule but fortunately the other band I'm 1st call with is getting quite popular and has been adding a bunch of gigs lately. I may just roll with that for a bit and see how it pans out.

theduke1 likes this.
  13. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    It does require that I stay on top of my calendar, but I like not playing the same songs every gig. All the other groups I work with have 2nd and 3rd call guys for all positions so everyone is fine if I can't make a gig.

14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Generally speaking, I wipe my behind with the "band leader" culture. Most times what I see is band "bosses", leadership is something you have to earn. A guy that doesn't know (or doesn't care for) the basics of scheduling for working musicians is way far from being a leader and, unless he's paying enough to compensate for the b/s, he ain't no boss either. If there's a situation worth spending some rage quit credit it's this one, so well done.

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Because 4-5 guys trying to agree on every decision always go SO well. ;)

andruca likes this.
  16. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Guess I wasn't clear enough. Not advocating band democracy at all, been there and it never worked. What I'm saying is in every band I've been there's either a boss that pays enough for everybody to do what they he wants OR one person who would be so good/hard working at what they do (be it music, booking, whatever) that he'd earned leadership in the minds of the rest of the band. Not a de facto thing, I mean, nobody forms a band and says "X will be the BL/ruler", it eventually develops, based on merit.

Old Blastard likes this.
  17. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm not the band leader, but for a long while I was the band alpha, getting the gigs and bouncing them around others' schedules. Our drummer is good and plays in another gigging band and recently I've been asked to join a second band. I sort of gave up the alpha spot, but may need to pick it back up if no one else grabs it. This is the band I like the most.

18. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    No, not always. Sometimes, the leader is the one with the concept and the desire to do the work, even if their efforts fall short.

So, yes, sometimes someone just nominates themselves a leader. Actually, it's outrageously common..

JACink likes this.
  19. Hmm, seems like you're too even-tempered to rage quit, and more like you got rage fired by a controlling BL. Report back when you've kicked over the guitarist's stack and punched a few holes in the wall of the rented practice space :)