Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally got to try my new Carvin out on a gig.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 13, 2006.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Two weeks ago, I won a Carvin off of Ebay. Unfortunatley, I was off that weekend, so I didn't get to try it until this past weekend.

Wow is what I have to say. I've always played what I would consider "mid-grade" instruments, and I finally know what it's like to gig with a top-end bass. My playing was so defined, whether I was doing some finger-style runs, slapping, or picking. The low end is so tight, and the mids are so smooth. Both my guitarist and soundman loved how it sounded on Saturday. The best part is how quiet the electronics are. The bass I was using before has a VERY noisy preamp, but the Carvin's preamp is whisper-quiet.

I know that a lot of people here don't like Carvin's electronics, and I can understand why - You're not going to listen to an album and say, "Hey, that's a Carvin," the same way it's easy to pick out a Rickenbacker or a Warwick. What the Carvin tone does do is produce a very "piano-like" sound that sets well in the mix. I found that the bass has a lot of natural highs in its timbre, which I think's a good thing. I'd rather have an instrument that has a lot of something in its timbre, because I can then just cut out what I don't want rather than try to boost something that isn't originally there.

Anyways, I'm quite enamoured with the bass, and can't wait for this Saturday. I know that the soundman we're using this weekend is really going to love the Carvin.

2. I've always dug my carvin too, people always ask me "what kind of bass is that, it sounds great." I know that tone starts with the fingers, so it's not all the bass. What wood, pick-ups, etc are on it?

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I like my Carvin LB75F very much, but I wouldn't exactly call it a high end bass.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It has an alder body with a maple/koa neck. The pickups are the stock J99's. I've wonder what the stacked-humbuckers sound like.

I agree about tone/fingers. That's what I like about the bass: It's so reactive to my technique, and it's a very clean-sounding bass. I never have any problems with finger noise on it. I attribute that to the good fretwork.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's not a boutique-hang it up on a muesum wall-bass, but it's what I'd consider a professional-level instrument. I basically consider anything from an American Fender upwards to be pro-level stuff.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Ok, I can see where you are coming from. I think these basses are exceptionally well made and for the price you can't beat them. I however was not a fan of the original electronics and opted to go with an all bartolini setup.

7. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I've owned a few Carvins and now have a couple of boutique basses to compare them to. Build quality on the Carvins is about as good as you'll get on a production bass and the finishes are top notch. In some respects the much more expensive boutique instruments are not built as well! But the boutiques have features that I'm not going to get from Carvin - woods, string spacing, electronics, etc. - no matter how much I mark up the option sheet.

I haven't heard Carvin's latest stacked J-style pickups (H50S, I think). The J99s were OK, the older H50Ns were a bit weak and thin to my ears. I prefer the sound of Bill Lawrence J-45L pickups in my Carvins.

The later 9V preamps are OK, nothing spectacular, but they won't embarrass you either. I haven't found a need to replace mine. I haven't played one with the newest 18V pre.

8. ZenMoto

ZenMoto

Feb 9, 2006
    Motor City USA
    I like my Carvin LB75P....I don't care for piezo brigde system though...Mine's a J / MM pick-up configuration and It's a pretty cool piece...Plays nice, sounds nice, I'm happy with it.

9. Carvin just added a soapbar pickup option, anyone familiar wtih these yet?

10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Congrats on the carvin, carvin makes some nice basses, their frettlesses are particularly impressive. I love my 2000 LB75F

As for the soapbars, someone just did a review of the Icon series that comes with the soapbar pups. Check it out here.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229493

11. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I had a BB76P for a while. The piezo sounded OK, but it didn't seem all that useful with a fretted bass. I could definitely see getting it on a fretless though.