1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally grabbing a vintage Ampeg...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Josh Pelican, Apr 22, 2010.

1. I've had my 810 for a while and went through a few different amp changes, but it's finally come to the point where I need to get myself a vintage SVT.

Most of the SVT CL models are going between $1,100 and $1,600 (depending on condition). There's one in Ontario for just under $1,200 and $50 for shipping; however, this same store has an SVT VR for $1,387 plus $50 for shipping.

I have read many of the exhaustive threads on Ampeg SVT amps, but my only dilemma is that I've never played a VR. Should I go for it? It'll cost me almost $1,450 to get it...

2. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Those are new prices, right? have you considered looking at used Classics? You can probably get one for around 850 or so, and I think they sound terrific with the 810. If I had the room and a better back it would be all that I use.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    those are canadian used prices.

anyway, imho, the vr is just slightly better sounding than the cl. the cl sounds a little bit less "open" to me, like there's something in it holding it back from being all it can be. the vr has no such limitation. so if it were me i'd pony up the extra two hundy. however, if i owned a cl, i certainly wouldn't feel the least bit inadequate. it's a very close #2 to the vr imho.

4. These are prices I'm looking at on eBay. I have yet to find a used one for a decent price. They're all over a grand.

I'm trading in an ESP/LTD B-206 and a Traynor DB800H so it won't be too bad. I'm going to try and sell off an Audere 4 band preamp, and possibly a Wounded Paw Attack Goat.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i paid $1500 for my VR (NIB) in late '07 and i've been completely happy with it.

6. There's an SVT-CL for $1,269 (plus $50) for shipping.

It's apparently a brand new demo model that has never been played.

The model for $1,199 is "new" (factory refurbished).

7. Don't go for the refurb! I thought I remembered JimmyM and Johnk_10 prefering the VR.
    Listen to those guys! :)

8. We'll have to see how things go when I sell my gear!

It seems the VR models I can get shipped to me are refurbished. :(

9. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    Yep. I have a VR. I agree.

10. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I second (or 3rd or 4th) the VR. It's much better sounding to my ears! Save a little extra cash. What's a couple hundred more bucks when you're already paying that much, right?

11. i haven't seen svt's sell for that.....i'd say 1200 would be more likely....up herer they are not as plentiful and used ones don't come up so often....even if you found one in america for 850,shipping, tax,exchange,tax,tax, and tax,would bring it closer to 1200 anyhow....and then there's tax

12. $.02 US says he goes with the CL instead of the VR people have been saying to go with. :bag:

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    don't feel too bad...it looks like our day's coming. obama's hinting around at a national sales tax on top of the local sales taxes we already pay.

14. The only available VR is refurbished. All the others are in the Untied States and the seller won't ship. Plus, the other ones are all over the $1,400 mark and used.

I believe you said not to go with a refurbished model :).

The money isn't a problem as I'm working in a hospital and clearing $100 a day (and still live at home :smug: ). But I don't think I want to start getting into the $1,600 and up for a used one. There's one with a buy it now price of $1,999, which is a little absurd. I could run two SVT-CL for that kinda dough.

15. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Go for it, or wait, flip a coin. Make a low offer and wait it out. There's not a big demand for a back breaking amp head, so they'll sit unsold. I try to never be impatient when I want something. I usually keep looking for the best one at the best price. Sometimes though, you just have to say what the heck and go for it, especially if it's vintage and doesn't come up for sale often. That's not the case with newer Ampeg heads. There's plenty around. Other's will eventually show up at some point and you can snatch one then. People are always pawning them for one reason or another. There's two in my area on the Phila. craigslist. one VR for $1000US or make an offer. It would cost another $100 to ship, but if you could get someone on craigslist to do so, you probably could find quite a few for sale across the states in various conditions. Have you considered an SVTII? Figure the cost of a retube in your offer on a used one. Good luck

16. If I can get people in the States to ship to me I'd be laughing. I would make so many offers on SVT models.

I have definitely considered the SVTII. There was even an SVT 400T with rack case for dirt cheap, but I'm looking at tube.

There's a nice Sunn 300T down in the states, and two Mesa 400+ on the other side of Canada. One is about $1,200 and APPARENTLY belonged to Glen Benton of Deicide. I don't believe it, but the guy says he will get Glen to sign it and pass along the "papers of authenticity". I don't know how he expects Glen to sign it when he doesn't live in Alberta, let alone Canada...

I really want to go with the Ampeg stack, but if either the 300T or 400+ come along with a nice price, I'll jump on it! Who knows, maybe I'll end up with two amps. :smug:

EDIT: He will only get Glen to sign it (and pass along the certificate of authenticity) if you buy the head and the cabinets together. He will also give the shock mount roadcase with "666" on it.

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind. He is shipping it from Florida, where Glen is from.

There is still no definitive evidence here.

17. if you've seen al bundy getting cleaned out by peg and the kids....it's kinda like that...even the dog took a cut.....we have both....5%federal,7%provincial,except for the blue eyed sheiks in alberta who pay no provincial sales tax.....

18. there are things about(aboot) shipping to canada that you need to know....there are plenty of good reasons a lot of us shippers are reluctant.....talk to the carriers about self brokerage,and remember that sales tax,fed and prov must be paid before you get your gear.....make sureb to value the goods properly and don't try to pass off stuff as gifts.....customs guys have seen all of it before,and pull up a value in seconds

19. I know all aboot shipping and customs. I have things come from the States every week. The largest thing I've had shipped was a rack tuner. I've had a bass shipped, but it wasn't even a province away.

I completely understand why most are reluctant to ship amps (especially tube amps). It just sucks because I would buy so many.

20. Don't know if the rules have changed but the company I used to be with would use "misc radio parts" in the documents. Shipped as a non-functional unit (tubes removed and shipped USPS). It is then spare parts, not a functional unit? Just a thought.