1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally had a malfunction during a gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dvs20, Nov 17, 2018.

1. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    long story short.... a lot of good gear, I was pissed becuase I spent a lot on it and there was a malfunction...... stupid instrument cable had an intermittant failure, luckily the ratty cable that my dog chewed a little was there to save the day. thats all

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    This is why I bring two basses, two amps, two sets of cables, back up effects, a bag of bits and pieces and a spare car in case that breaks down...

:D

SWRnut and Mr_Moo like this.
  3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Cable problems are pretty common because they get so much abuse on stage, during break-down, and in storage. Kinks, broken conductors, etc. I always have brand new XLR and instrument cables in the bottom of my gear box. It's saved other band members bacon a few times.

SWRnut, Mr_Moo and twinjet like this.
  4. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I was my guitar players hero last gig because I had an extra IEC AC cord. The next rehearsal I gave him a couple. It’s the simple things that save the day.

SWRnut and Mr_Moo like this.
  5. What do you mean, "Finally"? you have been waiting for a mishap all this time?
    Or do you mean "Unfortunately"?

SWRnut likes this.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    You bring a spare Bass player too?? :D

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Agreed. I played one gig years ago and after the drummer set up his 15 piece kit, he discovered he forgot his sticks. Luckily I carry a pair of sticks in my gig bag.

SWRnut likes this.
  8. I learnt to always have a spare cable some years ago when my one was intermittent.... I found if I stood still close to my amp the cable was ok, but when I moved it cut in and out.... I played a whole 4 hour set like I was in a straightjacket and glued to the stage... I still only have 1 bass and 1 amp, but carry spare strings and a spare strap

9. Break downs train you to be prepared. I use a wireless but always have a cable with me. And I have plenty of extra XLR's for the PA and power cords as well.

All the prep in the world might still let you down some time.

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    No, just a spare drummer... :D