Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally!! I´m a paid mucician!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by The_Bass, Nov 17, 2000.

1. I had a small gig in the "supermarket" today... really nice actually... played old Icelandic jazz/blues/funk stuff... and when we were finished the store manager gave us one refill of smint (you know, with 2 smints inside...) EACH!! :D

I´m finally getting paid for playing bass!! :rolleyes:

and someone said I´m the best bassplayer in the world... well.. he was actually 10 years old or something... but who cares? I'M THE BEST!!! :D :rolleyes:

2. Paid? Wow! What's that? Did you have to report your earnings?Cool, good for you!!! The next fun thing is signing autographs,it's lots of fun and it feels weird at the same time.
    By the way,is it snowing there yet? I remember Iceland's winters and the Northern Lights,miss it alot.

3. yes.. :looks outside: it´s snowing, and dark, and cold outside... man.. I hate it!!!! but northern lights are cool... I´ll even take a pic of the snow and northern lights and post them here on talkbass if you want to... brrrrr... My room is cold!!!

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    THAT is disgusting! My room is like 1000° or something..the only problem is that there is almost NO air, and when I open the window I freeze to death..and btw..congratulations!

5. Someday you ought to come to the United States.In some places the weather changes every other hour.If you do visit,let me know.

6. Rajun Cajun

Rajun Cajun

Nov 2, 2000
    Changes evry day like here in Louisiana. we have a saying here, if you don't like the wheather,wait an hour:)

7. Hmmmm....They say that in Va too.Well,in reference to getting paid,I remember getting paid a bag of Cheetos after traveling 8 hours to S.Carolina.To add insult to injury,the band had to share the "wealth".The club manager didn't bother to tell us he had no money until we had finished unloading.What will we do with all that loot? Ha! Ha!

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Our band used to get a free pizza and pitcher of beer from this one place.

God...I loved that place.

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    When I played at new years eve i got EVERYTHINGi wanted free :) ..even beer, but i didn´t like the taste, so...

10. Not fair man!!!

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It was good pizza too!

12. Cool man. I too had my first "paying" gig a couple of months ago. I've played alot of gigs, but in other bands any monies went into the "band fund" for travel, food, demo's, T-Shirts, promo pics, etc. But after hanging in this long I finally got to take some money home! We played a show at Jammin Java in Northern Va, just outside DC and there was about 10 people there. Playing to an empty room kinda sucks, but it was all good when the manager gave us $250 bucks at the end. We didn't even know it was a paying gig. A friend got us the gig, and we just went. It was cool to come home with some loot (which was promptly confiscated by my wife). Oh well, I'll play to an empty room for that any night!

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The_Bass - What's next...getting your union card ?;)

14. You guys got good pizza and Pez got some money.Once in awhile I've been paid those things,I just don't remember when.I think I'll join a musician's union when I get to Indiana.

15. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Indiana?? I thought it was Kentucky, or was that Tennessee?

16. union card? does that have something to do with onion? :rolleyes:

well... this wasn´t excally my first paying gig... I was just starting a funny thread.... although I´ve never gotten much money... only about 10 - 20$ or something.. If I keep it up like this I´ll afford a car when I´m 289 years old!! WOOHOO!!!

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    My Grandma used to be the Vice President of the Lafayette,Indiana Musicians Union. That was when she played sax here. She said back then if you weren't union they'd come in & have the owner make you leave or the union musicians wouldn't play there again ever. Now shes in her 70s & can't play the sax since she has had some health problems. The payment i got for my first gig was a few nice long hugs from a few of my close girl friends @ the time. That was great payment to me. To my knowledge there is still a musicians union here but now it doesn't matter that much if @ all if your in it or not. thats all

18. What's with all the places that don't give bands free beer? My band (a three piece) keeps spending more money on beer at the clubs we play than we take home at the end of the night.

Hell, I'm not even asking for good beer. I'll drink PBR or Icehouse if it's free...

19. Sorry I haven't replied in awhile.I just moved to Indiana on Friday.I'm not going to stay here cuz there is no place for me to stay.Soooo,I'm moving back to Virginia.Maybe I ought to start a different thread,but,this is my situation in a nut shell.As far as unions are concerned,I need to find out what the dues are.Nevertheless,I still love pizza.

20. Willie,

Where in VA? [​IMG]