Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally, I found a teacher!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Roark Haver, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Yeeeeeesssss! I finally found a bass teacher. He plays both upright and electric and has been teaching since the 70's. In talking with him I get the feeling that we are on the same musical page.

I've been trying to find a teacher that I have confidence in for half a year. I interviewed a number of guitar teachers that "also" teach bass, but I did not get a good feeling from any of them regarding their ability to teach the nuances of the instrument. I will keep you up to date on my progress. I'm finally on my way to becoming a real live bass player (I hope).:) :) :) :)

2. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hey, that's great! I wish you the best of luck with the teacher. :) Wow, he's been teaching since the 70's? Glad you went the way of interviewing these teachers before settling down, finding out whether they'd be good for you or not.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i had the same problem in southeast georgia...guys who thought a bass was a guitar without the high b and e strings :rolleyes: i'm glad to see you found someone.

4. Excellent! :D

Going back and forth to college makes it nearly impossible for me to find a teacher, so I'm still stuck in a rut here. Maybe I'll be able to get serious about bass after college, heh. All of the bands around either want somebody really good (which is not me) or want someone to sit there and pump out roots on a P-bass for their super cool pop punk band, which I also don't want to do.

So anyway, now I'll go back in my hole to play some stuff that vaguely resembles "music." G'night.

5. Any recommendations for teachers in the San Diego area would be most appreciated.

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Southeast Georgia? Try Washington D.C.. Oh sure you can find lots of people to network stuff or consult about stuff or lobby on behalf of stuff or sue people if you didn't get your stuff or audit your stuff. But a music teacher? A bass teacher? Please, somebody help me find a teacher. I'm lucky as hell I found my kids a good piano teacher.

7. I had my first lesson last night. It was great. I have a lot of things to work on, but I feel like I finally have a plan mapped out to get there. I learned more in 1 hour than I had in the last few months trying to do it on my own.

First we are going to clean up my technique a bit and work on the weakest fingers. My teacher was able spot the stuff to work on right away and wants to get me to play the instrument correctly before moving on to a lot of theory. My pinky finger on my fretting hand is killing me today.

8. chrisbs

chrisbs

Jan 12, 2002