Finally, I have a Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarchMan, Oct 7, 2005.

1. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    After a year of having the money at all the wrong times, I finally have one. More importantly, getting a higher-end bass in Newfoundland, Canada, is hard without paying ridiculously close to list price for them NEW. Used is an even greater rarity here...

Anyway, here she is. A Modulus Vintage Jazz with a few custom options. 5A quilted maple top and a pre-amp upgrade. I don't know if having it rear-routed is custom used to be. The picture is dark, which makes the bass look caramel. However, in person she is quite blonde!

I can't wait to get off work today to use it at the jamspace where my Eden rig is (WT800 w/410XLT). I'm used to the bulky slow necks of my Warwicks (LX 4 & Thumb bolt-on), so it is truly refreshing to play a slick jazz neck. I absolutely love the feel of the graphite, especially since the wood necks of the Warwicks tend to get clammy, depending on the weather (which slows them down even more!).

I have yet to play it through an amp, but I already noticed how bright and clear it is unplugged. Fantastic build and the string spacing is perfect for all the styles I play. Why have I not purchased a jazz bass sooner?!
  2. Congradulations on your new bass!
    I've been looking into a Modulus as well, but the funding for one will not be existent for at least a few more years. :(
    For an upgrade I was thinking of getting a Warwick, what models do you have? I take it you aren't a fan of their necks, anything else I should know?

Make sure you tell us your first impressions when you get it plugged in! :)
  3. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I have a Warwick Streamer LX 4 string and a Warwick Thumb Bolt-on 4 string.

I'm actually trying to trade the Streamer in towards a fretless Lakland DJ Skyline...the Streamer does not rip through like the Thumb for some reason, and I have no need for having two Warwicks. Therefore, even though the Streamer costed me a fortune in 2002 (has the high gloss finish option and is flamed maple with a honey violin finish) compared to the 2003 Thumb bolt-on, it just does not have much use for me and I'd rather not have it laying around...

Warwick necks are love or hate. I enjoy the tone of the Thumb too much to get rid of it, and I have gotten used to the neck. I also defeated the neckdive with a thick comfort strap. However, for faster tunes, I really needed that jazz bass. Who knows, I might end up prefering the jazz so much that I get rid of both Warwicks. Only time will tell.

However, I'll tell you this much. Warwick + Eden = heavy growl. I actually have to pull back on the low mids...
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Very nice bass, congrats!
  5. Thank you on your input, and if you would like I can give you more information on the Lakland DJ, my uncle has one, or should be getting one very shortly if it hasn't arrived yet. Although it is not fretless he will have the same model so if you are unsure I might be able to sway you one way or the other. He already owns one Lakland 5 string, I want to say the 55-94, but I am not positive. He absolutely loves it so you probably won't go wrong with that decision.

By the way, your bass is beautiful! I hope it lives up to the expectations you have! Enjoy it my friend :)
  6. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Just realized that only the Joe Osborn is available in fretless...
  7. Joe Osborne.. I'll have to look that one up later.
    Well, from what I know going with a Lakland won't be a bad decision. :)
    Yay new basses!
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Modulus VJs are GREAT basses ... and thats an especially nice looking one! Congrats!
  9. I've always considered getting a modulus jazz but I wasnt totally sold on having a full graphite neck for a jazz tone (although I love my Q6).

Have any sound clips?? I'd be curious to see how it sounds with the neck, bridge, and neck/bridge sound clips...

oh, and BTW, welcome to the Modulus family!
  10. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Awesome bass man, I love my modulus more than anything else. I hope you like it, and welcome to the modulus family.
  11. +1,000,000. I have a hard-on for my Modulus.
  12. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Where abouts in Newfoundland do you live. I'm from Mt. Pearl myself. You got your eden rig off of Steve Edwards from Music City didn't you. I've been hearing quite a few people getting WT 800's from him.

Anyways looks like you'll have quite the setup. That bass look's like a real slap machine.

That graphite neck is going to come in handy with all the weather changes we have. Can you give a better description of the sound of the neck?
  13. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Yeah, I'm in St. John's and I did get it from him at Music City. They're great people there, sometimes overpriced, but generally willing to compromise. Service is their selling point, for sure.

Slap machine, indeed. However, there's no room for slap in my band really haha. I could sneak it in, but it'd have to be really dark sounding. Slap = for home.

I totally agree on our weather'll make a world of difference.

I will post about the tone and overll impression after the jam today. I think giving it 4-5 hours at high volumes will allow me to give a more accurate description.
  14. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Not allowed slap? :rollno:
    Ahh well, their loss.

Looking forward to your report.
  15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I owned one of these... GREAT BASS!! It's like an old jazz bass without any problems!!
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Welcome to the Modulus family. Nice bass. :)
  17. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I kinda forgot about this thread, so I'll post my review right now.

The sound of the bass reminds me of a lot of 60's jazz basses I'd hear on recorded albums. Quite possibly the closest I've heard to it without buying a 60s jazz. It is bright, but with a nice bite and the Bartolini electronics give it an odd warmth. I've yet to decided to play near the bridge, between the pups or near the fretboard. There is a pretty subtle difference in sounds there. The pre-amp is ridiculously versatile.

I have to say that the neck is definitely refreshing. It is insanely comfortable, fast and stable. I'm used to tuning my bass after 2-3 when I went to do that as of habit, I noticed that the strings were generally still in perfect tune? This is a definite plus...

The bass does not weigh a ton, and is much more comfortable to wear than my Warwicks. However, the sound is definitely MUCH different than my Warwicks. Which I love, as the clarity and sustain really fit certain songs much more than the Warwick, whereas the Warwick tone will be great in heavier tunes as well. I think it is a perfect match for my Warwicks.

I know that some Modulus basses have no thruss rod, and that is justifiable, but I'm glad that mine has one JUST IN CASE.

Either way, this bass has the most clarity and sustain I've heard from any bass I've played and heard live including: several Warwicks, Spector Euros, several Lakland Skylines (44-02, 55-02, Joe Osborn, Darryl Jones), Ernie Ball Musicman (Stingray, Bongo and Sterling), G&Ls (2500 and 2000), Fender American Jazzes (and deluxes, one actual 70s jazz), 70s Rickenbacker, Pedulla (I forget which model) + many more...

This bass has been the most impressive axe I've come across. Along side with my Warwick Thumb bolt-on, it will definitely be a solid combination.

Modulus = two thumbs up.

PS. Did I mention how hot that bass looks? haha. Aesthetics are still important!
  18. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Modulus is great stuff.

I've owned every bass they make at one point or another, and I settled on the Flea bass.

I like the VJ alot, but I slightly prefer the neck and body of the Flea. It sure would be cool to have a Flea bass with 2 J pickups someday :hyper: