1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally I Have My Own DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Kevin Hsieh, Jun 2, 2007.

1. :hyper:

after months of research and debate and then over a span of two weeks auditioning basses at world of strings, i decided on a fully carved chinese bass. jon peterson was very helpful and patient, not showing one sign of annoyance while i pestered him with questions about make, construction, and whatnot. i got it strung with spirocores and it came with an Underwood P/U and got a used mooradian out of the deal. got it for around 3500.

more pictures will be uploaded if you guys want it

time to go fool around

Attached Files:

2. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    Wow, she is a beaut! I would like to see more pictures! Do you know who the maker is?

3. i'll for sure get some more pictures up tomorrow, when i get a chance

as for the maker. i'm not quite sure, all jon told me was that the bass was a fairly new chinese carved bass. i love the woods. i need to get a picture of the back up. if you want to know about the maker, i'll give jon a ring.

cheers

4. i guess no one really respects the chinese?

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Pretty bass. I have a Shen (also Chinese) and LOVE it. Good basses can be made anywhere.

6. kurtsnyder

kurtsnyder

Oct 31, 2006
    Nashville
    Yeah, that really is a pretty bass. I almost bought one that looks just like that bass. It was a "no name" Chinese bass that sounded really good. I went with the Wan Bernadel though (Chinese too).

Congratulations on your new bass! :hyper:

7. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Looks very much like my Eastman, same grain paterns and general shape. You could do some research to confirm.

Beautiful bass and sound. felicitationos!

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Congrats man.

9. akaHank

akaHank Inactive

Mar 17, 2007
    No doubt, definitely enjoyed. Hey, why are you distancing from Bill Evans? Waltz for Debby. That's OK, be yourself always.

10. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Inactive

Apr 6, 2007
    Hi Kevin, the maker of your bass is Xuechang Sun. I know this because I own the same bass as you just a model which is slightly higher in the food chain. His basses are quite decent and they all have that identical shape which is characterized by the perched neck and the flair of the upper bout. I believe you have the 400 model which to my knowledge is the entry "low grade model", he makes a 401, 402 and master which vary depending on quality of wood, varnish and hardware.
    The University of Toronto bass section has 4 of them, 3 402 models and 1 Master model, they're good sounding basses but they're extremely poorly set-up and usually have extremely cheap end-pins and fingerboards that have never even been plained. For the price you paid, you got yourself a great sounding instrument. Xuechang Sun was trained in Germany but all his basses are made in China. I hope you enjoy your bass, if you ever want to move up in the food chain look at Samual Shen as his instruments come with better hardware and are much better setup.

Take care and congratulations!

11. calvin,
    thanks for all the information. it's great to know that i can post pictures of an unidentified bass and have people tell me so much about it. i actually got the bass used from World of Strings (the previous owner couldn't play anymore due to an injury) so i actually had the benefit of having it already setup previously by jon. the fingerboard plays great, i'm not getting any buzzes, the action is wonderful. coming from playing on a school instrument that had huge chunks of wood missing from the neck, it has been a dream to play on and i've been getting compliments on my sound from my teacher and other bass players.

thanks again you guys

kev

12. That is a totally gorgeous instrument that you have there and I'm glad it sounds good too. Great to hear about makers that we don't hear much about whichever country they are from or in. Everything about that wood looks like first class materials and workmanship.

One shop here has a good number of basses made in California by a Chinese immigrant. They are first class instruments all the way around. I think he was trained in Germany also. I don't know his name off hand but his carved basses are beautiful and sound great also.

Congratulations on your DB!

13. Boy, I never heard that....some of the best deals are Chinese

14. haha i was just a little put down by the lack of response after a couple days

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021