1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally joined the 6 string club (new gear purchase!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockin982, May 11, 2011.

1. rockin982

rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    So ever since I got my Schecter Riot-5, I've been itching to get a six string so I can work on some solo stuff. Today I finally pulled the trigger, on an Ibanez SR406 from Craigslist. I ended up paying $350 for it.

The bridge seems to be bending a bit at the lower end, it looks like possibly from the tension of the strings over time. I'm thinking of replacing it with something a little nicer, we'll see.

There are a few minor dings on the back of the neck - nothing major, and likely not visible from more than a couple feet away.

The strings needed replacing, but by the time I got off work, met the guy and picked up the axe, only my local guitar center was open, and the only thing they had was D'Addario XL nickel wounds. So I picked up a set just to get me to the next week or two while I get recommendations (and girlfriend purchase approval) on some good strings for it.

Also considering Bartolini pup/pre swap. Not an immediate necessity by any means, but I think this could be a great axe to learn the ins and outs of six-string playing on.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Did I overpay? Did I get the one bass I should have avoided like the plague? Or did I actually do decent?

Attached Files:

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    pretty!

3. jtapp2556

jtapp2556

Sep 16, 2010
    Spartanburg, SC
    very nice looking bass i think you did we'll the new 506 is 650 and doesn't look that good the 506 does have the bartolini's but they are only the MK-1's i think you did well i would paid 350 for that bass change your strings and then play it a while before you spend the money swapping out pickups you maybe end up with more in the bass than you paid for it.

4. rockin982

rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    I actually used to own a BTB 5 string with the MK-1's, and they actually sound really good. A little warmer than the DX1s on this guy, but all in all, in the few minutes that I've played with it so far, it's not bad at all.

5. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Bass looks good, nice price. I like EXL170-6 strings myself.

happy playing.

6. rockin982

rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    Any suggestions on bridge replacement?

7. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Congrats! From the looks of that bridge, I would check the mounting screws. If they were grabbing like they should, that bridge should not be bent.

8. AG42

AG42

Mar 29, 2010
    I have an SR506 that looks just like your 406, that suffered the same problem with the bent bridge. I've just fitted a Hipshot A-style .656 bridge to it, which improved the tone and sustain no end, especially with a new set of D'Addario XLs - the B string is miles better. You wouldn't regret the upgrade! I got it from eBay from pitch_perfect_music.

9. AG42

AG42

Mar 29, 2010
    Oh, and make sure the B string is a 135, seems to work well on mine.