Finally Joined the Fretless Side w/ Roscoe LG3005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 26, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    after a LONG year wait, i finally got one of my two custom Roscoe's!

i had actually sent back two basses that Keith originally built for me, cause i wasnt quite satisfied with the results, but OI VEY, it took a year just get one of the basses back!!!

i wasnt too happy with how i got pushed to the back of line, but i appreciate Keith trying to accomodate me with such a sweet bass. then again, if it wasnt anywhere near what i wanted or expected, after this long year wait, there woulda been a whole lotta hell to pay!

thankfully, its everything i hoped it'd be. the top is simply gorgeous. i asked 5A, and got it in spades. the diamondwood board looks abfab with the birdseye maple veneer, and it literally feels like buttah. makes my first experience with a fretless feel about as comfortable as an old baseball mitt from grade school. and the weight of the body's Swamp Ash is finely balanced. just feels good to shoulder on.

i'm still waiting for my pair of Epifani Ultralie 1x10's to be finished, but with my Clarus w/ a Demeter Tube DI in the effects loop, all hooked up into a JBL Eon1500 1x15 PA cab, the tone was just MONSTROUS!

the combination of the Bart soapbars, preamp and the diamondwood gave the bass a growl and punch that i've heard in non of my other basses. i had no idea groovin' on a fretless could be sooo cool. the "mwah" sounds with the Labella roundwounds were thick and growly, and made slides on the lower registers simply addictive.

if there was a bass that would convince me to go exclusively fretless, this one would make me a believer. :bassist:

cant wait to get the sunburst LG3005 fretted. and hopefully, i wont have to wait another year to get it. ;)

(jus kiddin' Keith! jus kiddin'!! and thx again for a killer fretless!)
  2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Wow!!! I've got to start saving again. How much longer do you think a '96 Ford Winstar with 121,000 miles can last me?
  3. Fantastic lookin bass, you are a very lucky person.

In you r review you say "the frets are dang prefect, neatly dressed, and have no burring or sharp edges to speak of"

Is this a fretless we are talking about? or do you have stealth frets in there which I can't see in the photo's ;) :confused:

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Sweet Bass Joker!
    That is the coolest looking fingerboard! Especially with the Quilt top body! I am a bit confused about the reference to Diamondwood and seeing a birdseye maple FB. I've seen a lot of dyed Diamondwood but making Diamondwood look like birdseye maple would be similar to making transparent aluminium!:D
    Hey and you know what? Now that you mention it, I don't have any sharp edges on the fret job on my Roscoe fretless either! I guess it's time for BP to do another review!
  5. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Well, what a way to do it!
    I had to defret a dingy ol' Westone to have my first fretless (still haven't upgraded).

Ye git. :)

that's a lovely bass tho.
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    congrats on a beauty ! -
    that is a beautiful board-
    John, Keith offers it as diamondwood because it is essentially that- same proces as the impregnated Birch, but birdseye maple instead.. beautiful- enjoy!-
  7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Wow! That's the first I've heard or seen of using the birdseye maple! It sure looks great! Is it as hard a surface as the Diamondwood? Can it be tinted also?
  8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Birdseye Diamondwood---

BassNW has had a Roscoe fretless with just such a fingerboard for a while now. It looked sweet!

-Adrian, have you ever seen, or think Kieth would do, a Diamndwood f-board with a fretted bass? (mmm...3-tone burst on skinney flame and a birdseye D-wood board)

--yep, it's still on the site--
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice, Joker! :cool: Hope it does what you want it to do for ya!
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

holy crap, sorry, i was prolly thinking of my new Heatley Guitar that i was writing a review for concurrently with the Roscoe! wrote it like a knee jerk reaction. soooooo used to commenting on a fretted bass or guitar, that it being fretless hasnt sunk in yet... :meh:

omg, i feel like a such a moron. then again, whadya expect for writing a post @ 5am. :p but thx again for all your comments, and for not cashing in toooo much on my boneheadedness. :cool:

like AG said, its "impregnated". to clarify, Keith offers a variety of "looks" for your diamondwood fretless board. in this case for me, he did a composite of the diamondwood for the toughness and some birdseye maple for the pleasing look.

i doubt you could do a diamondwood fretted board. i doubt you'd need that kinda tough surface. besides, must a HUGE pain to try and stick frets into.
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nice bass, joker.

I don't think doing a diamondwood board with frets would be that big a deal. After all, it's not as hard as actual diamonds;) :D. It would allow the use of boards that were traditionally too soft for fretboard use.

While not diamondwood, the spalt board on my Brubaker is holding up great.
  12. Nope, it wouldn't. My Curbow's got frets!
    BTW, sweet bass, joker! I love the way it looks with all that maple.
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Dymondwood is the same thing as Rockwood that Curbow uses, and Phenowood that Zon and Moses use. Exact same stuff--different name. So, it can definitely have frets.

Here's the company that makes it:

The brochure has some really cool color combinations available. I've often thought about getting a Curbow with a crazy Rockwood top.

Curbow was showing me some new Rockwood Lite that is made of maple veneers with glue. It's lighter than normal rockwood, and has the same sonic signature as regular maple. He also has some that is dyed black. Pretty cool stuff.

That's a sweet Roscoe, Joker! I dig the mapleness of it. The only other bass I've seen All-Out Maple that I like is an F bass, so that Roscoe is in good company.

14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx bro!

but not to de-rail my own thread :p , but you mean this one? played it at Bass Boutique, and it was a big part of the inspiration for my roscoe.

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    To my understanding, Keith has made just one fretted diamondwood fingerboarded bass, an SKB 3007 that passed through Bass Central used a couple months back. It was part of a matched pair which had burl redwood tops. Beautiful basses, just too many strings. (JT: :p ;) )

Keith mentioned that he didn't like doing it for some reason...never really asked why.

As has been mentioned, many other makers used diamondwood/phenowood/rockwood fingerboards as fretted with no trouble. I've got a fretless Zon with a phenowood board that just sings! :D Love the stuff myself.
  16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Actually, I played a 5 string several years ago when he first started using diamondwood. In fact it was the first fretted bass he used it on. He told me back then there was no advantage to using it for fretted instruments. He said a few other things that I can't recall.
  17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The ability to use woods normally deemed too soft for fretboards in the past would be one advantage;)
  18. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    If you are speaking only of a cosmetic advantage sure. Tonally it would still sound like diamondwood no matter the wood used.
  19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    An advantage is an advantage IME. I'm pretty sure a big part of the diamondwood appeal is cosmetics... otherwise just make them all look like black plastic.

;) :D
  20. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Diamondwood for most luthiers probably is about cosmetics but since this is a thread about Roscoe, keith uses it on fretless for tone and durability only. He has done several that were dyed to match the body for cosmetics but found most people preferred the look of diamondwood if it more closely resembled ebony. For fretless I prefer the diamond over ebony or any other wood because of tone and durability. For fretted, I choose wood bases on tone only. Diamondwood would have no advantage for me (unless of course I liked the tone ;) but I'm sure others will be more concerned with the look and like the tone.