Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally-- My 6 String!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I got a 6 string! I went down to Guitar Center and picked it up. It's a Brawley. I finally figured out some stuff about them (if you want the info, PM or email me.)

SPECS:
    Flamed Black (flamed being the wood grains)
    Canadian Maple Neck (with strips of Mahogany)
    Ash Body (with strips of Mahogany)
    Thru Neck
    24.5 Frets (yay for .5!)
    2 Passive Mighty Mite Soapbars
    Active EQ
    Wilkinson (I think) Tuners and Bridge
    One super cool Inlay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://photobucket.com/albums/v606/petarypics/Brawley 6 String/

I love how on the back of the headstock they insist on giving America credit some how. :p

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  3. I like it. Don't have any soundclips ?

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Welcome to the 6-string, dude. Glad you found a bass that "spoke" to you.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Good for you :) Pics are too dark to see any sort of wood laminations though-it just looks all black. Oh, and what do you mean by 24.5 frets? Is there half of a fret on the end of the fingerboard-if there's just wood at the end, it's just a normal 24 fret.

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I can see the wood lams in the neck, but yeah, it's pretty dark... Black Hole :D

7. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I can see the flame on the top. You guys need to check your monitor settings :spit:
    How's it play? It's black so I pretty much automatically like how it looks!

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My monitor generally displays things pretty dark so it looks pitch black to me.

24.5 frets? looks lik 24 to me. Dont count the little wood after the 24th as part of a fret...it isnt.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ha the guy at Guitar Center said 24.5 so that was kind of an inside joke with myself. :p

It plays amazing. I mean, I thought 6 string would be hard to adjust to, it doesn't even seem different than a 5 string (other than having another string!) I don't know how to make soundclips, but if someone would tell me, I'd love to.

I'll try to make more pictures using Hambone's technique (far away.)

10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Most players find that it's easier to move from a 5 to a 6 than it was to take the 4 to 5 jump. Good luck with the bass :D

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'd agree with this. I think it is because it is easier to add a string on the high end than a lower string, because many people get confused when B is on top of E, its like,w-qw--w--w-h--hwha?????????

12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I found it easier to make the 4 to 6 jump than the 4 to 5 :p That's a pretty sweet looking bass! Was ti expensive? And i thought I remembered you having ordered a Carvin but maybe I,m getting mixed up. Nice Score!

13. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    That bass does look nice. I remember playing a Brawley a year or so at a Guitar Center and really likeing it a lot (and the price tag). But I haven't seen one since and I'd really like to play another.

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well it was a $1200 bass, the green tag sale made it $600, and my dad talked him down to $500. I also got a DiMarzio Straplock type Strap and a hard case. :)

15. useless

useless Guest

Mar 11, 2004
    Fresno!
    ive always liked a translucent black finish it looks good! welcome to the world of 6 stringz :bassist:

16. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    thats a cool looking bass

17. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Welcome to the 6 string world. The flamed black top looks cool. :bassist: