Finally! My Basses online!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by reedo35, Oct 6, 2000.

1. [​IMG]

Okay, I finally figured out how to download my pictures! Check 'em out! On the left is my Juzek, on the right is the Kolstein, and on the Floor is a Carbon Graphite Upright I
    used to tour with
    .(And will be for sale Soon!)
    BTW, Thanks for the tip, JT! :D

[Edited by reedo35 on 10-09-2000 at 12:50 PM]
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, those are pretty cool

if you edit your post and add "[*img]" before the link and "[*/img]" after the link (without the * both times) it will display on it's own, without having to click the link.
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Very nice-- whose carbon graphite bass is that-- I have a link to one maker, the only I've seen. They fascinate me-- how is it?
  4. Thanks for your interest, Bob.Its brand name is COSI (short
    for composite string instruments) and it was made in Paris by a Mssr. LaGarde. I bought it on the spot at a Musikmesse in Frankfurt, Germany I was so impressed with its sound and playability. You would think that it would sound like just another crappy fiberglass bass, right? But this has an amazingly Big, projecting tone for a small 3/4 size bass.
    And it is virtually indestructible, not that I've tried, but it has proven impervious to any weather conditions.
    Here is a better picture of it.

[Edited by reedo35 on 10-09-2000 at 12:56 PM]
  5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    does that mean that the body is also made of graphite? yikes, expensive!! :eek:
  6. Now, Now, don't be frightened, it's nowhere near as expensive as you might think. Since I'm selling this Bass soon, it wouldn't be prudent to say what I paid for it, but it was WELL under $2000. Another selling point for the tree Huggers, this is a very earth-friendly bass. The body is also graphite with a beautiful wood veneer. The bridge and soundpost are the only wood on it. The fingerboard feels like real ebony, but I think it is also graphite.
  7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, for $2000? am i missing something here? how so cheap?
  8. Well, A couple of reasons, I think. When I Bought it, the Carbon Graphite thing was a relatively new Idea, and I got in on the "ground floor" so to speak,and he gave me quite a discount for endorsing it.The bass is also a one piece design,no seams,almost like it was made from a mold, so the
    construction is fairly simple but very strong.So I'm sure this holds down production costs a lot.
  9. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I've tried a COSI 2 years ago at the Paris music show (Musicora) when I was shopping for a bass. I did not like the sound, more or less what you'd get with your average plywood. But given the low fidelity of bass amplification, and the troubles of traveling with a fine bass, I agree that a COSI is a convenient alternative. Here in France all the kids at the local music school haul around their 1/4 and 1/2 COSI. The price quoted by Reedo is right. Quality will improve though, and pretty soon luthiers will work only for snobs and collectors, and just cut bridges and adjust sound posts for the rest of us (and even agree to fix our cheap but wooden chinese axes)!

[Edited by olivier on 10-10-2000 at 12:34 AM]

10. I'll admit of course that the sound is not as good as my Wood Basses ( It sounds More similar to a Plywood Kay or Englehardt) But it served its purpose well for what I needed it for (Playing outdoor Jazz concerts,Street Music, Jam Sessions, etc.)And Yes, it is an Excellent first Bass for a Student.