Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally, My Dingwall AB1 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AxtoOx, Jan 20, 2006.

1. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I've been talking about it but never put up pictures. So here it is. It's actually more green than the picutrs show. Great Basses. Sorry about the trash in the back. I live alone and my Doberman doesn't care how I keep house.

2. Awesome bass, love the whale blue- which means- its a basscentral bass.

Anyway the trash in the background also means NO chicks at the place either.
    frank

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Oh wow, that thing is mint! :D

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nice one! You know I'm partial to that color too! It looks great on stage, and ALWAYS gets tons of feedback from the audience.

You now own one of the best basses ever built.

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    how long ago did you pick that bad boy up? I was talkin to bass central about a whale pool blue ABI about a month ago. I just couldn't convince myself to drop that kind of cash on a bass sight unseen.

6. Welcome to the Dingwall club!

7. Question: Why did you decide on a 4 string instead of the 5 string model? You're missing out on one of the best B strings available.

8. Awesome bass mate! Love the colour.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im also wondering about the 5 string thing, i think dingwall and i think B string.

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey guys, I've got to be honest, as much as the B is astounding, the E is more than amazing. I find the tighter E makes for much quicker playing with much higher definition.

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I had a little trouble going 4 instead of 5. But I have an F Bass BN5 that I adore. So my resoning was the dingwall as my main 4 and my F Bass as my main 5. After getting it, I'm not sure I won't get a 5 to match. I do love my F Bass though.
    When did I get it, a couple weeks ago. He only had 2 4 strings in stock and, at least in 4 string they have an exclusive on the whale blue. The other was plain, no flame top or sunburst. This is the color I wanted anyway.
    Don't give up on me guys, next gas attack may be the 5. I think the Warwicks will be leaving soon.

I just got my PayPal account set up, my problem is I have 0 feedback here or on E-bay, but like I said, I think these Warwicks and my Ampeg need to go. It looks like a Music Store around here.

12. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    The only sound clips I've heard for Dingwalls are on basstasters (? i think thats the name of it...), which sounded really nice...esp for the price. how would you describe your sound?

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Jeez, you guys would have to bring up the 5 string thing, I can feel the GAS pressure building.#$%&*

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    They are very vesitile, the way I have it set through my Eden, Bright, bouncy,lots of attack, especially for a wenge fingerboard and it growls. Keep in mind sound is subjective, that's the best way I know to describe it except GREAT.

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

This is my first wenge boarded bass, and it's a great wood. I like the look, and the sound it projects (seems to have an aggressive attack). The FD3 pickups are great too. They have a P-bass flavor, but are spaced more like a Jazz bass, and the bass has a TON of punch and volume in the passive mode. The parallel and single pickup modes are closer to 'vintage' in tone, but due to the scale length and the extended range of the pickups are definitely not 'vintage'...definitely more complex.

I've been using this bass for both my projects, and with the tone rolled off it has great low end extension without being overbearingly boomy or undefined. Turned up, the tone has a nice clarity without being harsh or brassy. The switch you see is a passive mid cut which does a nice job of pulling the bass back into the mix when you don't want to be grandstanding (I use mine for ballads like "Turn Your Lights Down Low" or to give a touch more 'vintage' vibe.

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    My warwicks all have Wenge finger boards, they have some growl, but not the same attack. You're right about the punch.
    This one is passive which I don't mind w/a 1200 watt amp. The 5 position switch gives you a wide variaty of tone along w/ the knobs. I might just want a 5.
    Warwick doesn't finish the wenge the same way thiers are pourous. That may be the difference.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

My next one is going to be a maple board...either spalted/acrylicized or just nice light maple and its going to have a swamp ash body, so we'll see how that changes things.

18. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    My F Bass is Ash body and Maple board, I love that Bass and talk about attack, I've played nothing like it.
    I've played nothing like the dingwall either, they are both great.

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

When George makes his first fanned fret bass, I'll be there.

I really love F-Basses, but I'm completely sold on the multi-scale thing and a bunch of Sheldon's other design features.

I know it probably seems odd for someone who rolls off most of the high end about 98% of the time, but I find that what works best for me sound wise and feel wise is to have a very lively sounding and playing bass (thus SA body and Maple board)...It makes the lows have a vibrancy that belies the 'flatness' you'd normally think of with no top end.

The Z1 has been spec'ed with matching headstock, pickup covers, etc. so not so different than a BN5 (you know the detail appointments), but fanned fret and ol' school Voodoo bodyshape which should be pretty stunning.

20. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Nothing wrong with that. I think George and Sheldon are already selling everything they can make, so George can wait.