Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally!! My Spector! Help!! :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninkompoop, Nov 6, 2003.

1. ninkompoop

ninkompoop

Apr 20, 2003
    Hey everyone.

After a loooong wait, looking for, finding, and awaiting delivery of my Spector, it has finally arrived!

It is an NS2000/4 neck thru, brand new, the color is almost blood red, and it is BEAUTIFUL!(Looks ALOT better than in any picture I have ever seen)

Anyhow, there is a problem, already...

I noticed the volume knob for the bridge pickup, doesn't do anything. Later with some experimenting, I'm beginning to think the bridge pickup isn't even picking up any sound.

The wires all look like they are all connected, so I'm not sure what the problem could be..

Is there any 'tests' I could possibly do to find out what exactly the problem is here? It's such a shame... I've been after this instrument for so long, now I finally have it in my possession.. and its defective!! :(

If anyone has any suggestions that would be really awesome.. I am considering bringing her into a store, I am broke as a joke though, I still have to pay off the bass..

Anyone have any ideas?

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    you can send it to me and i can fix it for ya..no really i can

i really don't have an idea with out looking at it

steve :)

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    open up the cavity and get some test leads and hook the output of the pickup directly to an output jack and to an amp to see if the pickup is outputting at all. verify that the pickup is outputting first of all. If it is, move one of the test leads to another position along the signal path until you find the place where it stops coming through.

Or, you could just need to set the blend pot to the 'bridge' pickup, but I have to believe that you;ve already tried this, hehe.

Does your knob config have 2 vol pots and a blend pot or 1 vol and 1 blend. If it has 2 vol pots check that the vol pot the bridge pot is hooked to works. If it has 1 vol and 1 blend check the blend pot first.

edit: I've been through something extremely similar to this when I was installing a new pre-amp.

4. If your bass is brand new, don't you have a warranty???

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i believe there are 2 vol 2 tone

steve

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    OH, that's right. That's exactly what my euro 5 has. The problem is probably the vol pot for that pickup. If you have a multi meter it should be really easy to find out if the pot is bad, hook up 2 test leads to it, one in the middle lead, the other to the non-ground lead and turn the knob, you should see the resistance change from 0 to 250K ohm.

If you don't have a multi meter or testing clip-on leads, go to radio shack and get them.

Do Spector's use 25K or 250K vol pots? I know Bart's use 250K.

of course, if it's under warrenty, make the store replace it with a brand new working one, you said it's brand new so it shouldn't be a problem.

I hate to bring this up, but you really should make sure it works before you leave the store with it.

7. ninkompoop

ninkompoop

Apr 20, 2003
    Hey,

The bass was purchased online, it would probably cost an arm and a leg to ship it back and get it replaced.. (I am in Canada, it was shipped in from the States) On a side note.. I believe this was the last one avaliable. The neck thru's were discontuned a while ago, which is why I had to buy it online.

The knobs are indeed 2 volume, and 2 tone.

Unfortunately I dont have a multi meter on hand.. But I think I will probably consider picking one up. I am pretty convinved something is dead, or not connected, that pickup is definetly not showing any signs of life, at all, not matter how much I play with the knob.

I'm really not sure what else could be suggested with the ammount of information I have given.. Would it help at all if I posted a picture of it's insides?

I guess I will probably end up having to take it in to a store, and spend more money I dont have on it.. Unless they want to fix it for free, that is. heh. Maybe Spector would help me out, of course, there is a warranty on this thing.

Thanks for the input guys.

8. I had a problem simmillar to that with a p-bass and it was a bad soldering, so try to redo all the solderings in the cavity and on the pick-ups too

9. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    You might consider talking to the place you bought it from about it and have them pay to have it fixed at a place that's close to you. I had to do that once with a used bass I bought.