Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally, my Strangeberger #2 is complete.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Gah! Frets!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finally have an identical Strangeberger with frets to match my fretless. Hooray! This one is exactly like my fretless - Moses neck, Rio Grande Pitbull pickups, no tone nor volume controls, a TransTrem, and two gaping holes in the front! I'm still working on the setup, but it seems to play almost exactly like the last one, which is quite satisfactory. I'm going to have to get used to playing with frets, but I think it's going to be alot of fun.

This one took forever to come together. First, I partially traded my Warr 8 string for it, but it didn't have any pickups or controls in there. The pickups are Rio Grandes, which came pretty quickly; the neck is a custom Moses (no dots!), and that took 6 weeks to arrive. Once it arrived, I had to take it to a place that had a drill press to have it installed. Those guys sat on it for 3 weeks before they finally told me that the neck pocket was too high, and the bridge wouldn't come up high enough for the strings to sit right. :confused: The last neck was much deeper than this one, and it worked fine. I'm quite a bit confused on this, but it turns out they were correct. Hmmm... My other bass is at the rehearsal space, so I can't compare them to each other and see where the discrepency is. My guess is that the body routes were a bit off, so the fretless neck went in with no problems, and the fretted was a bit of a pain. Currently the bridge is shimmed a little bit, but upon a bit of setup it appears that that shim could be removed and all will be well.

So now I have nearly identical twins. :D And that's all I have to say about that.

2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Nice!

How do you like the pitbulls? I've got a Spirit and with better pickups it might get more use.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That is a sexy stealth bass you've got there amigo.

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The Pitbulls are amazing. Big, fat, and round. They sound like a P bass on steroids.

5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    heya Strange - could it simply be the differences in getting the neck right were just because of the added height of *gasp* the frets?

Man, every time you post I get bad GAS for an M-bodied Steinie. Damn you.

6. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    Nice, were did you get the body? How is the Moses neck? I have not heard good things about them. I love Steinbergers as well.

7. Hey Benjamin,
    Lookin' good. I like the M series bodies, but i think the Q series are my all time favorites. How do you feel about them?

8. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    That's a beaut Benjamin!
    I'm currently toying with my first steinie, an L2 #194. Someone gave it to me this year (I gave him fifty bucks because I felt guilty just taking it). I sent it off to Peekamoose, and they gave it the works, just got it back about 2 weeks ago. New fretjob, new pickups/preamp, and some other things (It's been on Guam for the last 15 years and this climate took it's toll on it, plus the last owner abused it). The overhaul wasn't cheap, but well worth it ,and it plays as if brand new now. They even fixed the old electronics and bagged them up in case I ever sell it, the old stuff is on it's last leg but will still work if someone wanted it back in.

9. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California

IMHO the Steinberger L series is the most important bass in history behind the P bass.

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, after playing it for quite a few hours yesterday, I'm finally starting to get used frets. Very bizarre - I thought fretted would be easier, but it appears that the frets are actually getting in my way! Gah! Speedbumps!

I've also managed to get the action down to 2/32" at the 12th fret, with no buzzing audible through the amp. Woot!

Ilovepink, this bass started as a Steinberger, so the body came with it. ;) The Moses neck is a bit thinner than the Steinberger, is more stable, has a trussrod, and sounds much darker and fuller. I really dig it.

Now, a problem... I only have one bass size trem arm between the two basses. I'm currently using a guitar trem arm on one and the bass arm on the other. Since they only made 200 of these units, I have to ask: "Anybody got a spare bass Transtrem arm I could have?" :ninja:

11. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California

Sorry, my bad. I figured since you had a Moses neck instead of a Steinberger than you must have had the body lying around somewhere are you purchased it seperatly. I am glad to hear that you like the Moses neck although I have to say that I have never had any stability issues with a Steinberger.

I really don't like fret either. The fretted basses that I do have all have mandolin size fretwire installed.

12. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I like your bass! I've only owned a blue Q, but it sounded great. I'm the same way about moving back to speedbumps.

Marshall

13. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    That's pretty sweet. I used to own the same model but without a transtrem. In a time of financial hardship I was weak and sold it. Still regret that. I would love an old style Q bass. They were my favorite design.

14. Benjamin,

The only place I can think of that would have a ton of Steinberger gear is at Ed Roman's in Las Vegas. He might be willing to sell you some Steinberger parts, or maybe try contacting Ned directly.

JT

15. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    How's the trem on that? Works well? Useful?

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Works well, yes. Useful? Incredibly. But only if you have an open mind and a penchant for needing altered tunings at the flick of a wrist.

17. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    As the hot-rodders say about a particularly well-done custom car... "Looks Factory!"