Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally my Warmoth '59 Pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Oct 24, 2004.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    here is a picture of my Warmoth '59 Pbass. It has an ash body with birdseye maple/rosewood neck, an Aero Pbass pickup, vintage style Fender tuners, and bridge

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    THANKS....i'm a huge fan of white bodies, and tort pickguards....OH, and matching head stocks :smug:

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Very Nice! Congrats

4. You get the B'Aces High seal of approval :)

5. That's one smashing looking bass, but could you please enlighten me as to what makes it a '59-style instrument? The only similarity with one I can spot is the ash body, but I take it there has to be more.

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    well...before 1960 Fender would only use Ash, maple fingerboard, and Gold pickguard. Then in the early 60's they started using Adler, rosewood, and a tort pickguard. '59 was the crossover year when they would use a ash, and rosewood combo with either a gold or tort PG and I've seen a matching headstock Pbass from that era, but they were specail order from Fender at the time. I hope this makes sense.... :)

7. Sure does. I didn't know all '59:ers came with rosewood boards, even though I knew some did. Hence my confusion. Thanks for the history lesson, and the links that did nothing to help me stop suffering from GAS... ;)

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    'Greaser, that's a very nice bass! :cool:

Weird, but in the late 80's I put together my first Warmoth P-Style; It was white with a tort pickguard too. But it was fretless with an ebony board and had the EMG P/J combo and a Badass-II bridge. It turned out to be a nice bass, although I later put a fretted neck on it. I also changed the pickups to the DiMarzio P/J.

I had no idea about the variatiions Fender did on the '59 P. Thanks for the info, I'm a P-Bass addict. I admit I have a problem, I admit I'm never going to seek treatment. :D

I see you went with the Aero Instruments' pickup. I looked into one when I replaced my stock pickup with a Nordstrand NP-4. I'm interested in their sound; How 'vintage-sounding' is it?

I really like the matching headstock. Congrats, you've really put together a killer bass.

-Art

9. what...no link to a '54? - I did a Warmoth copy of one myself...that turned out fairly decent; then I ruined it by adding J-bass pickup - so, not lookin' like the real deal anymore a great playing and sounding bass!

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'll have more/better pics up soon! thanks for all the kind words....as far as Aeros. They are the best sounds pups I have ever heard...

11. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice bass.....me likes!!!!!!!! :bassist:

12. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    One thing doesn't seem to be mentioned... HOW DOES IT PLAY?@! :)

Did you buy the parts and assemble it yourself? I'm looking into doing a warmoth, every opinion is very worthwhile.

Troll

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It plays better than any bass I've played. I did buy the parts and assemble it myself. I say if you're going to do a kit bass. Just take your time when you put it together. OH, I'm using Chrome flats for strings, and i love the Pbass :hyper:

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I took a few more pictures, but in order to me to put them on I have to make them so small it won't do the bass justice. Will someone be willing to post the pics for me if I email them.....