Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally - new WT-550 has Speakons!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, May 5, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I called up to Eden today to ask - yep, they're finally putting Speakons on the little amps!

David also said the WT-550 was considerably quieter than the WT-400...

2. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Why should YOU care? ;)

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    'Cuz I'm starting to lean towards an Eden head instead of an EA - I hope I can demo them side-by-side. Two *very* different approaches to amplification and tone, and I want my ears to pick with no preconceived notions about what I want or like.

4. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    You know I support you in whatever choice you make. One problem with doing a side by side comparison, unless the tonal differences are *obvious*, is that the EA has such flexibility in its tonal shaping that you might never come up with a fair comparison - in either direction. Nevertheless, I trust you'll make the right decision for yourself.

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Have you tried the EA? Just wondering why you're leaning toward the Eden.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Eden cabinets still don't have Speakons...but David assured me that they're coming... He must have a lot of input plate/crossovers in stock.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Supposition on my part.

I through a WT-400 and compared it against a SWR something-350 at the store, which I think would be pegged more to the cleaner end of the spectrum. Of the two, I preferred the Eden's tone, which would lead me to believe I'd like the Eden over the EA.

I have to do an actual comparison!

8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    SWR??? I've A/B'd the Eden and the EA on a gig and preferred the EA. I highly recommend you play an EA before making your decision.

9. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I'm about to part w/ my wt-400 and have been thinking about either the EA IAmp 350 or a used 600.

when you say the EA sounded better, what do you mean- I know it's a loaded question, but help me out... To my ears the Eden heads are warm, blossoming, and for lack of a better word slow... what's the net net on the EA heads?

I tried an EA 350 YEARS ago... at least 4, and remember it to be good, but I was into SWR at the time and not in the market...

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I'd have to say that EA and SWR are pretty different in general. I had an EA iAmp350 head. It seemed like a great amp but it just wasn't my thing (at least not with the cab that I have and I wasn't willing to go through a new cab hunt at the time). I ended up going with an SWR SM-500 and I've been happy with it. Having said that - EA's customer service is second to none.

brad cook

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I plan on it!

12. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Any word on when the speakon thing is gonna happen at Eden?