1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FINALLY !!! No more basses coming and going

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jibreel, Mar 9, 2008.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Please don't laugh too hard at the following because I know a lot of you have gone through this also. After buying and selling 10 - 12 basses in the last two years, and losing around $ 3,000.00 in the process [ most of that was on one very obscure boutique bass ] , I've ended up realizing that I have had my favorite bass all along.

Gas is a merciless master to follow. Especially when one already has incredible instruments and hopes to get some small increment of an increase in sound quality by buying a different bass.

So I am DONE for now !!! I have more than enough with the following:

Fretted Turner 5 string
    Fretted Tacoma 4 string
    Fretless Turner 5 string E-C with RMC/midi
    Fretless Turner 5 string stock [ my main bass ]
    Acoustic Image Focus 2R with seperate speaker
    Acoustic Image Contra ll
    Boss RC-50 loop station
    Demeter Compulator
    X-2 wireless
    80's Takamine classical gutter

DSC01727.

2. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Wow @ RC-50. my RC-20XL is more than enough for me. :p

Wow @ everything else. :D

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uh huh.

4. You need a Rob Allen Mouse tbh.

hehehe.

5. oh wait you dont have no fender:p

6. Giraffe

Giraffe Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, California
    Good luck! We joke about this subject a lot, but it causes much more suffering (absolutely) than folks let on. A buddy of mine recently went bankrupt, jeopardizing his wife and childrens' futures, largely behind churning through one bass after another, losing a little on every one but doing it so often that he finally went belly up.

It's funny when a person can afford it and there are no serious negative consequences, but I suspect there are more bankruptcies and ruined marriages out there than we would expect. I'm glad to see that you are paying attention, and making a change before the situation gets out of hand.

Being marooned on a desert island with only a 5-string fretless Ren sounds okay to me!

(Would you let us know which boutique bass you are referencing that was the big loser?)

7. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle

It was a German bass Worp 6 string fretless. It was an amazing bass to play but the electronics were so-so. So I course thought I could improve it by putting the RMC system in it along with an Audere pre. As we know, those are both awesome systems but it still did not do it for me. So with the cost of the upgrade and the usual loss on re-selling an obscure bass, I got hit a tad hard :bawl:

8. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    From age 18-23 I played six nights a week in bars back in the day when one band would play at one club for 1-2 weeks. None of this 3 band in one night thing.

I only played Fenders back then. If I had just kept them :bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:

But I am only into the semi-acoustic piezo sound now. No mag pups for me :D

9. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm in the same boat. Though I've done 30+ trade/sale deals in the past few years, I've got a core of equipment that I've been happy with for over 4 months! That a record for me.

1. Ric 4003MG
    2. MM SR4
    3. Fender American Deluxe P
    4. Warwick Thumb 4 NT
    5. Warwick Infinity 4 LTD/NT
    6. Ampeg SVT-2 Pro/610HLF
    7. Mesa/Boogie 400+/PH 8x10

10. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    That's a very nice collection, but desire is a hard lady to keep at bay. Good luck staying GAS free and oh, BTW +1 to a Rob Allen.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I agree.

It scares me when I see teenagers and guys with very little $$$ financing high end basses and amps that they really can't afford or really need. I saw a kid last month buy an Ampeg 8x10 cab for about $1000 and finance it. The sales guy tried to talk him out of it but he had to have it..... to play in his basement.:rollno: Oh, and he didn't have an amp head yet. He was going to come back and look at SVTs the next day. He NEEDED the 8x10 cuz it looked cool.:rolleyes: His neighbors will be pleased.:spit:

Anyways, I have bought and sold dozens of basses in the last couple of years and think my core basses will be with me for many years moving forward. I will be doing a trade (some of my rarely played stuff) for a SR5 one of these days, but it won't affect my top 6 basses below. I am lucky that my wife and I make a good living and I also do 3-4 paid gigs a month.

It took me a long time to find the basses I need (actually, really "want") and luckily most of my basses were bought used so I haven't lost any (or much) money when I flipped them.

I think the following should last me for the forseeable future and cover me for all of the types of music I play...

2005 Sadowsky Metro MS5
    1992 Sadowsky NYC Jazz 4

2007 EBMM Limited Edition Stingray 4
    2006 EBMM 30th Anniversary Stingray 4

1974 Fender Precision
    1997 Fender Precision '62 Reissue

P.S. Jibreel, you have a great collection. It is COMPLETELY different than mine, but great nonetheless.:bassist:

P.P.S. Good luck fighting off GAS. It can be tough! Stay out of music stores, Craigslist and eBay! That might help...

12. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm yearning for the day of 3 basses,

fretted rosewood neck 5 (main bass)
    fretted maple neck 5 (Rock, slap funk)
    fretless 5

I think It will just be Jazz basses...

Then you need a practice combo

And you need a head and cab, of not 3 cabs

So within all these variables, you end up with a TON of equipment you sort through. I'm trying to find the best way to do this, Craigslist if I KNOW I want it, Stores with 30 return policies if I'm not sure. Had hit and miss with eBay, but the hit was better than the miss ;)

13. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    BTW, my advice, stay away from TalkBass, I was very happy with my MB2 and Pbass (all I thought I ever needed), till I started hanging out here. I've bought three more basses since I joined (all keepers I believe) and although I tell myself I'm GAS free there's that nagging feeling I want a sixer before too long.