Finally... Pics of My New Roscoe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, May 11, 2005.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

OK. I already started a thread about this when I got it Friday last week, but here it is with pics:

Roscoe SKB-3005 with:
    • Quilted Maple top with Cobalt Blue stain
    • Black Diamond wood fretboard
    • "Side Lines" instead of fret lines
    • Standard Bart Pups
    • Demeter Preamp
    • One real happy owner

Attached Files:

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    BEAUTIFUL! I love it man! The Neck is beautiful. I'd personally like it darker.

Good Choice! Let us know how it plays
  3. Bassmanbob

Some more pics

Attached Files:

4. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    OOooo, I love those "side lines!"
  5. Bassmanbob

And a couple more:
    This includes my SKB-3006 I got two years ago with a swamp ash body, Box Elder Burl top, Spaulted purple heart fingerboard, Bart Pups and preamp. Who said that only Fodera can have Ying Yang basses.

Attached Files:

6. Bassmanbob

Now that I've had this new bass for a week, I can talk more clearly about how it plays and sounds. OK here we go:

Already owning a Roscoe (the 3006 pictured above), I had high expectations of the instrument's outcome. I also played about 4-5 fretless Roscoes at Bass Central over the last two years. I was cautiously optomistic about how good the bass would be. I tend to be picky about performance and sound, and was somewhat apprehensive about how it was going to come out. I also never ordered a bass to be made for me before, so I was always able to try the instrument out before buying it.

That being said, this bass has far exceeded any expectations I had about how good it was going to be. I think I have a reputation around here as being a Roscoe fan (and admittedly I am), but this bass has got something special about it. My guitarist (who also plays some bass) played it for about 5 minutes yesterday and his response was that, " is an awe inspiring instrument the minute you play it." That was what I was trying to articulate to him, but couldn't exactly pin point it. In the short period I've had it, I've found myself trying to play more melodically. OK blah, blah, blah I'm ranting.

The action is lower than I usually like, but as it turns out, it's perfect. The mwah factor is as good as any other fretless I've played. I can get a nice upright sound depending on the settings and where I place my right hand. It has an aggressive Jaco like growl also with the right settings and hand placement. I'll bring it to rehearsal tomorrow night, so I'll report back how it sounded with the group.

I have to leave now so I can play it before I go to bed. Thanks for the nice comments.
  7. Hey Bob!
    I don't have to tell you, you made the right choice! From one 2-Roscoe owner to another -- Congratulations!! VERY nice quilt on that fretless! It looks like a deep pool of water. :)

I love my Roscoe fretless - I have recieved countless compliments on its looks and sound.

AND THAT 6 OF YOURS.....!!! :eek: That has got to be one of the best looking Roscoes I have seen!

What's it like hopping from a 6 to a 5 and back again? Any weird transitions? Why didn't you get a 6-string fretless?
  8. Oh yeah, what's the body wood? Spanish cedar, mahogany?

Tell me you DIDN'T go with ash! :rollno:

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Great looking couple! :) I also like the abbreviated lines on the finger board!
    And......yeah, why did you go with the 3005 fretless over the 3006?
  10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What model Barts does your Roscoe have and does it have a Bart pre-amp or something else?
  11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Sweet Roscoe BassmanBob!

I like how the blue trans came out over the quilted wood. How's Diamond wood tonally for fretless? More mid or?
  12. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    It's ash! :spit: gotta problem with ash man???

I'm an ash man myself...nothing like a good piece of ash...and trust me, that bass...

I've played a LOT of fretlessesesesssessesssses....(cough cough cough), and that one is one of the all-time best I've heard...special bass.

(Disclaimer: Yes, I'm prejudiced to an extent :bag:, but my "baseline" fretless is a Zon, not a Roscoe...and THAT one made me want to give up my Zon, a FIRST! :help: )
  14. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Lookin' good...lookin' good! :smug: Looks you have an excellent pair of Roscoes, there. I'm partial to cobalt blue myself (or as we say around here...."blueberry" :D ), but it appears as if you have to excellent sounding, excellent playing Roscoes that you're very happy with. :hyper: ;)
  15. deichman

Jun 1, 2003
    Congratulations Bob! Great pair of basses. You were one of the people who inspired me to get another Roscoe! Thanks.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Same here! :cool:

Nice bass, Bob. Congrats.
  17. Bassmanbob

Hey thanks everybody!!!

Basso: Yes, it's Swamp ash. I'm an ash man myself. I guess you can call me a T & A man. Nice Top and Ash man. :D If I'm looking for more bottom end, I just boost the bass pod a little and it just grooves like I want it to, yet it still cuts through the mix. So far I've been concentrating on the new fretless, but I played the 3006 today too for about 10 minutes. There was no problem with the transition between 5 and 6 strings, although I don't think I can comment accurately on that yet.

Gard: I immediately thought of your Zon when I first played my new bass. I would have loved to A/B them to see the difference. Sorry dude. This bass is my, "From my dead cold hands" bass. :D

Quadzilla: The pups are both Bartolini soapbars, but the 3006 has the Bart Preamp and the 3005 fretless has the Demeter preamp.

J-raj: The diamond wood fretboard is the way to go. It's hard as hell and very smooth to the touch. It really brings out the mwah beautifully.

Deichman: I'm really happy I helped you return to the Roscoe family.

I got a fretless five instead of a six because I really don't find myself using the C string all that much. I mostly play classic rock, R & B, Motown, and I'm now putting together a top 40/ Pop band with drums, bass, keys, guitar and two female singers. The guitarist and keyboardist are also strong lead singers. I really don't find the need for the C string all that much. I enjoy soloing only to a small extent, so I rarely call upon the C string. On the other hand, I may never buy a bass without a B string again. I use it frequently even if I only rarely play below a low E. I can't see myself letting go of the 3006 I have because I still enjoy playing it, and it's really an attractive bass. BTW: thanks for the comments about that bass too.

Tonight's rehearsal: Everyone said that they could hear me a lot more clearly compared to the six. The real difference between the two is that I have the Demeter preamp in the new fretless and the Bartolini preamp in the 3006. In all honesty though, the new fretless has new strings on it and the 3006 has strings that despirately need to be changed.

I have already told both Gard and Keith that I will ship the 3006 back to them to switch out the Bart preamp for the Demeter (and while it's there, fix the pods I loosened when I dropped it on the tile floor at home) :bag: I posted that tragedy in another thread when I referred to the strength of the Roscoe neck. It came down headstock first from 4 feet off the ground. Just a small dent in the finish of the headstock and one loose pod and one broken pod. I guess it's good that I broke the midrange pod if I'm going to switch it to a Demeter.
  18. Mmmmmmmmm, tasty tasty tasty... don't put that beauty in the same room as a Squier, it'll eat it during the night!