finally played a Hoppus bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mudvayneRules, Dec 15, 2001.

1. mudvayneRules

Dec 15, 2001
    on i just found a mark hoppus bass anyone have a pic of it?
  2. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    your name says mudvaynerules (which is true) then why are you worried about a mark hoppus bass??? Bassically just imagine a bass that is equally as impressive as Marks playing ability.
  3. mudvayneRules

Dec 15, 2001
    yeah i like mudvayne i also like blink's old stuff i just wanted to know if anyone knew if it was pink or cream or blue or what ever other colors he uses.(i just saw them they kicked ass)
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I saw the MH at GC yesterday. Here's a quick, half assed review. Mind you, these were impressions drawn in 5 minutes, picking up two different basses.

Price at GC: $489. Made in Mexico. Basically a Jazz bass shaped Precision. Has a string through body/top load bridge and a Seymour Duncan Basslines P pickup, single tone, single volume. The colors I saw were a pastel pink and a blue. I think there was a black one too. The neckplate on the back simply says "Mark Hoppus".

The bass must have weighed ~ 9 pounds and had a jazz-like neck. Essentially it is what it looks like: P-bass electronics on a J-bass. I couldn't be bothered to plug it in, but you'd have to be a darn bad company to build a bass with a SD pickup and have it sound bad. Fender's not great, although it can be great if it wants to. I wouldn't mind picking one up for around $200, which will be the ballpark figure for a used one. For $489, I'd say you'd be better off with the Mexi Jazz Deluxe, which has the American Deluxe electronics.

There's my 1/50th of a Dollar opinion...
  5. JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    corporate integrity.
  6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
  7. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    How could an alder body and a SD pickup on a bass sound bad?????!?!!? That thing probably sounds great. My friend just got a Tom DeLonge Strat and it has a really fat tone. It plays like a dream too.

The great thing about the Mark Hoppus bass and Tom DeLonge strat is that they're made out of alder and not poplar, like the usual MIM Fenders. But the thing I can't stand about this bass is how it has that weirdo looking pickguard instead of the normal J pickguard and metal control plate. Even Hoppus has this on his bass, I dont know what Fender's problem is for leaving that out, maybe it has something to do with cutting costs. :confused:

...but that's nothing a quick visit to can't fix :D

PS - This is the third thread on this, I'll try to keep my inflammatory comments to myself this time around :p
  8. Mmmmm, Pink Colored bass? Goes well with Turquoise spandex shorts. Safe your money and get the ne wReverend Rumble Fish XL-4 strings with Brushed aluminum finish.
  9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Its alllllll here guys

Look at the possible colors

Marks Bass
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow, a thread with Mark Hoppus in the title that hasn't gone stupid yet.

Let's continue to keep it about the bass, guys/gals. I am impressed so far.:D
  11. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    I have a sea foam green guitar(Tom Delonge Strat). Sea foam green is, IMO, the coolest colour for a guitar/bass. Its so retro and ugly that it really works.
  12. Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    i'm pretty sure the tom delonge guitar is surf green not sea foam...
  13. afi_rules

Oct 6, 2001
    Herrin, IL
    actually, all of his fender stuff he uses is a p-bass spliced with a jbass. pbass wiring, pick-ups, and neck. but jbass body(with j pickguard and chrome thing) all the colors of that bass he has are pink, white and blue. he also has a few regular jbasses, sunburst white and blue. and he has an olive green type looking music man.
  14. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I'm just curious about something -- have any of you who are knocking this bass tried one? If not, what is your opinion based on? Is it because you don't like Mark Hoppus? Or maybe because you like a particular bass, you automatically discount all others? Neither of these attitudes seems very rational to me.

To me it seems like a pretty sound idea -- lots of people prefer the looks and neck of the Jazz bass, but love the sound of a P bass. I wouldn't mind trying one. I have a P bass whose sound I love, but I wish I could find a jazz neck with block inlays for it. I just find the Jazz neck more comfortable, and I've always loved the look of block inlays.

As to the color, who cares? That's just a matter of personal taste. I for one hate surf green, but if I found a surf green instrument that played and sounded great, I sure wouldn't let the color stop me from buying it!
  15. Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    it actually has a p-bass neck....other than tht i completely agree with everything u said
  16. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Actually, the Mark Hoppus signature bass has a Jazz neck. Mark's actual bass has a Precision neck, but the sig model has the thinner J neck. I can tell by the pictures I've seen that its a J neck.
  17. how do you tell what type of neck a bass has from a picture? Thats the most amazing pictorial analization i've ever heared of if you can do that just with your naked eye. I'm not sure which neck it has on it, never played one, dont recall which neck it has, could have sworn on some blink video off the internet that i saw, was with hoppus saying it was a P neck, but i could be wrong. Tell me though, how do you tell the difference from a J neck and P neck? The h/s is the exact same, only width...
  18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  19. his manufactured bass sucks the pickguard is one piece and my friend says it sounds just like my rewired squier but it feels nice. imo it is ugly. and i priced building a custom bass with warmoth parts and for a bass like mh it was 485 for all the parts minus the finish