1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally played my Fretless *live* today!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinny D, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I purchased a G&L SB-2 fretless a little over a year ago and never really had the time to get comfortable enough playing fretless to venture using it out on a gig......Well that all changed today:hyper:
    I have been playing bass for 25+ years and only recently got bit by the fretless bug, but because my main band has been busy and I usually end up playing my 5-string basses (my fretless is a 4-stringer) I have not had the time to get my skills up to where I felt I needed to be to be able to play the fretless comfortably live. For the past month I have been doing a Sunday gig and I have been forcing myself to leave my 5-string basses at home and get some use out of all the 4-string basses I have that are just collecting dust at home, but today I took the training wheels off and rode the fretless the entire gig:D. I had a blast and it wasn't nearly as scary as what I kept telling myslef it was going to be...actually it was a lot of fun and now I can't wait until next Sunday when I get to play it with a band again!
    I should not have waited so long:scowl: This bass has been telling me to play it for a while now;)

Picture072.

2. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Wow that's a beautiful instrument. I'm glad you had fun playing it at your gig. It's only uphill from here...

3. DistantTremor

DistantTremor

Nov 29, 2007
    Wow, congratulations! I played my first fretless live last winter, a warwick corvette.

Strange, I don't remember having a G&L SB-2 fretless.... Or performing live with one...? :eyebrow: ;) Actually, I had noticed that your name and last initial are both the same as mine, so the thread caught my eye.

4. cammage

cammage

Jan 8, 2008
    The Young Guy
    Just wait to your comfortable to play random fretless fills in songs...it'll drive yout band wild or in some cases insane. :)

Congrats on finaly gigging that instrument, it's a beautiful baby.

5. Congrats - good story!!:hyper:

(verrry cool bass as well :cool:)

6. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI

You mean I was supposed to wait to try that:eek::D

7. whoneedstherapy

whoneedstherapy

Oct 26, 2005
    Sydney
    Nice work vinny, now you just need to play it through the 210xst 212xlt setup and blow some people away!

8. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    It was through my WT405 & (2) D210xst's:hyper:

9. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    Way to go champ. I have one I sneak out every once in a while for a song or two, but not a whole gig.

10. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    What a great feeling it is to just do it!

11. It is definitely cool to get out and do it. Those durned fretlesses feel so organic that it's hard not to love 'em once you've tamed them.

Good job. Now you're going to go and want a fretless 5'er. Not that I'm trying to promote GAS.:bag:

12. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Congratulations! Once you go fretless you never go fret. Now you should check out an Rob Allen, you'll definitely leave frets behind for good.