1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finally pulled the trigger on a pre/power setup...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan1099, Apr 18, 2005.

  1. Dan1099

    Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

    Aug 7, 2004
    Finally ordered myself a BBE BMax-T and a QSC PLX 1602, thanks to the great deals from the guys at Rik's music and Bass Central, respectively. It became affordable a lot sooner than I thought it would.

    Anyway, quick question.... what type of cable should I run from the pre to the power amp? I will be saving the mic out for D.I. use. So do I use an instrument cable? Speaker cable? What?

    While were at it, anyone know what I should be looking to sell a slightly used Ampeg SVT350 head for? I'm not in a huge hurrt to sell it, but I may be putting it up on the for sale forms here real soon-like.

    Thanks, Guys!
  2. Congrats on your choice of the BBE. I have the Bmax solid
    state version(also from Rik's) and I really like the tone I'm getting.
    As far as the cable goes, you can use an instrument cable
    from the pre to the power. If you are going to use more than
    one speaker, you'll need a crossover(to bi-amp), or you
    can use a single male to double female 1/4" adapter for
    the speaker out.
    You only need speaker cables to go from the power amp
    to the speakers.
    The D.I. from the BBE is nice and hot, so double check your
    master gain when sending out to a board.

    I don't have any experience with the Ampeg, so I can't help
    you there, but as always, I'm sure others with experience will
    chime in soon.

    Again, congrats on the Bmax-t. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  3. Dan1099

    Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

    Aug 7, 2004
    Thanks. I didnt think it required anything more than an instrument cable. Just wanted to be sure, though.
  4. LiquidMidnight


    Dec 25, 2000
    You can definatley use an instrument cable from pre to power, but a small patch cable would probaly be the most practical solution.
  5. I agree. I use 6" patch cables(Goerge L's) from my BBE Bmax
    to my power amp.